Topic

Looking for some feedback on my gear list……

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Looking for some feedback on my gear list……

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Locale: Eureka

So I have been backpacking for a few years and i am now in the transition period from normal to light and eventually to UL. Here is my list if you can give me some insight on what to leave behind and what to upgrade first.

-Main Compartment – 412.6 oz/25 lbs11.9 oz
    Sleeping bag liner- 4.5 oz
    OR Bivy Sack- 30.5 oz (1lbs 14.8 oz)
    Sleeping bag- 52 oz
    Compression Sack- 3.5 oz
    Exped Pillow- 3.6 oz
    Thermarest Pad- 24 oz (1 lbs 9.2 oz)
    Stove- 3 oz
    Gas Qty. 2 – 26 oz
    Camp dishes- 18 oz (1 lbs 2.9oz)
    Camp Utensils –
    First Aid Kit – 1 lbs 4.9 oz
    MSR Water Filter – 14.9 oz
    Shovel- 28 oz (1 lbs 11.3 oz)
    Gregory Z65 pack- 67 oz
    Water Bladder (full)- 110 oz
    Lumbar Day pack?- 14 oz
    Water Straw- 1.5 oz
    Camp Towel- .9
     Trash compacter bag –

-Tech
    iPhone – 4.7 oz
    iPhone Charger –
    iPhone Cable – .5 oz
    Walkie Talkie(s) -7 oz

-On My Person 4 lb 6.7 oz
    Knife- 11.8 oz (1 lbs 10.9 oz total)
    Sheath & Pouch
    Sharpener
    Survival Kit & Cord
    Whistle on lanyard
    Fire Steel
    Compass- 3.6 oz
    Mini First Aid Kit- 2.3 oz
    Baseball Cap- 4 oz
    Sunglasses- 2 oz
    Belt- 3 oz
    Hiking Boots- 27 oz

-Food Canister- 41 oz (10 lbs total)
    Jerky – 12 oz
    Snack Sack – 3 lbs
    Starburst – done
    Snack bars – done
    Electrolytes -done
    Gatorade -done
    Crystal Lite -done
    Apple Cider -done
    Gum -done
    Dried Fruit
    Peanut Butter ?
    Entrées
    Breakfast
    Oatmeal
    Lunch – 4.3 oz ea
    Dinner – 4.3 oz ea.

-Clothes Stuff Sack – 5lbs
    Socks
    Underwear
    Shirt
    Shorts/Pants
    Jacket 2 lbs 9 oz & Pullover
    Gloves & Stocking Cap

-Hygiene – Front Pouch – 1 lbs 7 oz
    Wipes – 7 oz
    Toothbrush – 1 oz
    Tooth paste – .75 oz
    Map Pouch & Map – 8 oz

-Supplies – Orange – 3lbs
    Survival Kit
    Soft Water Bottle(s)
    Head Light
    Flash Light
    Extra Dry Bag
    Batteries
    Straps
    Stakes Qty. 5
    Fire Tinder
    Hand sanitizer (accelerant)
    Tape
    Multi-tool
    550 Cord – 8 oz
    Camp Soap

Any feedback is appreciated our first trip this season will be Henry Coe park and then Big Sur and Yosemite.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My fitst question wold be when you go backpacking do you actually use everything you bring? Anything that you do not use leave at home beside emergency supplies. Check out some others gearlists on this site to get an idea of what people are bringing

Before spending any money I would leave the following behind
    Sleeping Bag Liner
    Camp dishes except 1 small plastic bowl and mug. 4-5 oz max
    First aid kit shoukd be cut down. Decide what injuies you want to treat and know how to treat and then only bring what is neccessary. For me it ends up being gauze, tape and pills. But make sure you te comfortable with it
    Filter – use aquamira or bleech
    Shovel – use a tent peg we arent digging graves
    Bladder – you cann keep it but only carry enough water to get you to the next water source. A lot of places you can get away with a liter.
    Daypack – leave behind, just use your mainpack or a stuff sack with straps
    Water straw
    Knife you have almost 2 pounds of knife. You can get a good functional knife at 4 or 5 ounces, you dont need the sharpener.

Thats about 10 pounds there. Once you get through the uneccessary stuff you can attack your shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and pack.

Nicholas Meadors

@nickoli

Locale: Teh Front Range

Like Greg said, after total elimination of unnecessary items, the next biggest weight losses are usually in the shelter, sleeping bag/pad, and backpack. Besides what he said already, this is what I saw:

Pillow: Can you use extra clothes balled up?
    Clothes: I think I'm only bringing 2 pounds of extra clothes. What all is contained in that 5lbs?
    8 oz of paracord? Dyneema ironwire is only 1.2oz for 50ft
    Toothpaste, wipes, and camp soap? Dr. Bronner's acts as all three.
    A flashlight and a headlamp?
    You have listed a first aid kit up top and a mini first aid kit.

Quality 20-30 degree down quilts can be bought for ~150-200 and usually weigh ~18-26 ounces.
    One person shelter combinations can be found for ~150 and usually weigh ~10-26 ounces. There are also a few bivys for the same price that weigh under a pound.
    I cut my sleeping pad down to only what is needed for my main contact points…it now weighs 3 ounces from 18 and I sleep the same.

Once the weight of your gear comes down, you can also look at replacing the pack. I'd do that last though, because until you cut down, you can't use a lightweight pack for a lot of heavy gear.

Hope that helps a little!

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

I typically do the normal 3 season backpacking but i have done a winter trip and my OR Bivy held up well along with my Sawtooth membrane.

Sleeping Bag Liner – I only use this because of the DEET for the bugs so as not to damage my bag.

Camp dishes except 1 small plastic bowl and mug. 4-5 oz max
    First aid kit I will probably just use my AMK .3 kit moving forward. the larger kit has a ton in it and my son carries a AMK .5

Filter – Good call I carry Aquamira in my survival kit as well.
    Shovel – Good call
    Bladder – Good call
    Daypack – My six yr old said the same.. ;0)
    Water straw – prefer to take it if I'm leaving my other filter……

Knife you have almost 2 pounds of knife – Yeah but there is a lot on that knife that i have used for years. To be honest if I was able to carry nothing else I would keep this. Put my USAF survival training in to play and I could survive with just this stuff on my knife for quite a while.

Pillow: Can you use extra clothes balled up? – yes good call

Clothes: I think I'm only bringing 2 pounds of extra clothes. What all is contained in that 5lbs? – I had a Gortex coat for wind and rain protection, fleece, socks, liners, Gloves, stocking cap, underwear and depending on the length of the trip another pair of convertible pants.

8 oz of paracord? Dyneema ironwire is only 1.2oz for 50ft – Already have a good length around my knife so this is probably unnecessary.

Toothpaste, wipes, and camp soap? Dr. Bronner's acts as all three. – I'm not familiar with this but i will look into it.

A flashlight and a headlamp?
    You have listed a first aid kit up top and a mini first aid kit.

Quality 20-30 degree down quilts can be bought for ~150-200 and usually weigh ~18-26 ounces.
    One person shelter combinations can be found for ~150 and usually weigh ~10-26 ounces. There are also a few bivys for the same price that weigh under a pound.
    I cut my sleeping pad down to only what is needed for my main contact points…it now weighs 3 ounces from 18 and I sleep the same.

Once the weight of your gear comes down, you can also look at replacing the pack. I'd do that last though, because until you cut down, you can't use a lightweight pack for a lot of heavy gear.

Yes any feedback helps as long as i keep an open mind.

Thanks Nicholas & Greg

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I'm never sure if Anna is a bot with a pre-defined reference sheet of links, or a wonderful human being who doesn't like to get into debates or care about wording.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I would definitely watch the videos Mike C has about the "dinky stuff" and his first aid and repair kit. Here is what I think you should leave behind and why:

1. Sleeping bag liner: if you wash or wipe yourself down at the end of each night, you won't need to protect your bag with a liner.
    2. Compression sack: If you cut down on your gear you'll have a lot more room in your pack and won't need any compression sacks.
    3. Fuel: Only take one and make sure it's full.
    4. Camp dishes: What a lot of us do is eat straight out of our cooking pot or mug. However, even if you cut down to single bowl and mug (cheap plastic ones from REI) you'd save a bit of weight.
    5. First aid kit: check out Mike C's video…I'd probably take more than that but I think it's a good start. I base my first aid kit on what I'm actually capable of using. It end's up being about 3-6 oz depending on how long I'll be out.
    6. Water purification: try the Aquamira drops. Mike C has another video on his site describing how you use them.
    7. Shovel? If this is for summer use then you definitely don't need it. Take a small hand trowel or make use of one of your tent stakes to gouge out a hole.
    8. Water bladder: depends on how long it is between water resupplies but you could probably use old gatorade bottles and it would work just as well and weigh a fraction of the bladders weight.
    9. No day pack needed.
    10. Walkie Talkies? stay within sight of each other and/or have prearranged meeting spots before you leave.
    11. Knife: you could probably pare this down some. You already have a first aid kit in your pack. Maybe carry it with you if you're afraid of getting seperated from it? Sharpen your knife before you leave the house and leave the sharpener at home. What's in your survival kit? Try
    12. Try hiking in trail running shoes instead of boots. It can be hard to break that mold but give it a try on an easier day hike with a small pack and you might be surprised at how pleasant it is.
    13. Clothes stuff sack: pack all your clothes and sleeping bag (anything that can't get wet) into your trash compactor bag and leave the stuff sack at home.
    14. Jacket: way too heavy. Think about getting a down or synthetic jacket. Could easily weigh under a pound.
    15: Clothes: bring an extra pair of socks (or two) and maybe an extra pair of briefs. I sweat A LOT when i'm hiking and can get pretty rank, however, I bought Under Armour briefs and I don't find the need for an extra pair of briefs anymore.
    16. Map pouch: put your maps in a large ziploc bag.
    17. Maps: only bring the ones you're actually using.
    18. Wipes: You could probably bring less. One per day? This would also negate the need for a sleeping bag liner.
    19. Supplies: don't you already have a survival kit with your knife or is this what's in the survival kit?
    20. Supplies: a lot of the items in here are redundant. You don't need two sources of light or spare batteries. Bring one item and change the batteries before you leave. If you do happen to run out of batteries, it's not a big deal! You don't need an extra dry bag or straps, you won't use them. Hand sanitizer, soap and tape I would repackage into smaller quantities. I didn't see a shelter (other than a bivy) so why do you need 5 stakes?

Don't get scared off by some of the suggestions here, whether from me or anyone else. Almost everyone here went through multiple transition steps before they got to where they are now. Just try a few things at a time and see what works. Have an open mind. Good luck!!

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

I would definitely watch the videos Mike C has about the "dinky stuff" and his first aid and repair kit.

Who is Mike C?

1. Sleeping bag liner: I may have to try that out closer to the end of the season.

2. Compression sack: Yeah I am noticing as I remove things I may be able to get away with a stuff sack.

3. Fuel:I'm thinking this is doable but I need to find the best fuel type and size.

4. Camp dishes: I use this and it works well for my son and I. GSI Halulite Microdualist.

5. First aid kit: This seems to be a common theme, Yeah I will cut this down probably as i get nearer to the end of the season and my 6 yr old is a little less accident prone.

6. Water purification: I have the tablets and drops.

7. Shovel? This will be the first thing i leave out.

8. Water bladder: being i have not hiked this area before i will fill it this time and consult the rangers.

9. No day pack needed.- Agreed

10. Walkie Talkies? once my 6 year old is a little more adept I will leave these out.

11. Knife: This also seems to be a common theme I will take it but may leave the sharpener out if i don't use it on the first couple trips.

12. Try hiking in trail running shoes instead of boots. – I twist ankles really easily so this will be much later.

13. Clothes stuff sack: – multiple people have given me this feedback.

14. Jacket: – Next year my budget is a little exhausted with other items. (getting my 6 yr old and wife ramped up to go with me)

15: Clothes: Under Armour, I will have to look in to this……

16. Map pouch: put your maps in a large ziploc bag. my map pouch is basically a big zip lock backed in canvas.

17. Maps: only bring the ones you're actually using.- understood

18. Wipes: You could probably bring less. One per day? This would also negate the need for a sleeping bag liner.

19. Supplies: don't you already have a survival kit with your knife or is this what's in the survival kit? yes i noticed this and pulled it since it was a direct duplicate.

20. Supplies: Agree on all of the extras i have never used them including my trips last year so i will leave them behind. I didn't see a shelter (other than a bivy) so why do you need 5 stakes? the stakes are for my OR Advanced bivy.

Thanks i plan on making it multiple iterations and to take a few things out each time as i notice i don't use them or notice i can use another method even if it's a little more work. Thanks for the feed back!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Arlyn Janssen

@arlynjj

Definitely checkout Mike C's videos. Especially the Dinky Stuff vids … no, better just watch all of 'em.

>10. Walkie Talkies? once my 6 year old is a little more adept I will leave these out.

Does your son carry a whistle? My 4-year-old always has a whistle and we play a form of hide-and-seek to practice at home. Basically, if he doesn't hear me or see me in 30 seconds, he knows to give one short blow and then another a little bit longer (eeee eeeeeee). If I am not there in 15 seconds, he blows until I find him.

Actually the same rule applies for me and my own whistle. I think this would be an important safety measure whether or not you decide to carry the walkie-talkies. I personally wouldn't want to rely on a battery-powered device.

>12. Try hiking in trail running shoes instead of boots. – I twist ankles really easily so this will be much later.

Definitely get your pack weight down first, but I think you'll find that hiking in trail runners actually strengthens your ankles over time. Go for a walk around town with running shoes and 15-20 lbs. in your pack. You might be surprised!

I'm actually slowly lightening my pack, too. Your plan to do a little bit at a time is a good one. Cross things off as you can, upgrade as you can and try new things over time. It's important that you feel safe and comfortable with your gear and you can't do that with an entirely new kit, in my opinion.

Christopher Gilmore
    BPL Member

@chrisjgilmore

Well I finished my trip and have gotten to step II now. I went through everything I used and figured out a lot of stuff I could do without as well as a few places I could do dual duty. Here is what I came up with for phase II. Keep in mind there will be a Phase III, IV and V. Eventually I will upgrade my sleeping bag and possibly my backpack itself once I get the weight down low enough. Keep in mind i started out with my total pack weight last go around at 48 lbs. (yes I packed too much food & had a ton of redundancy). Not to shabby 15 lbs cut after 1 trip……

Item: Example: Weight (oz)
    Clothing Worn: 60.10
    Shirt Cotton button up with collar 5.00
    Pants Columbia Convertible Pants 10.80
    Underwear Hanes Boxer Briefs 2.90
    Socks SmartWool Mountaineer Socks 5.30
    Belt Cinch Woven Belt 3.50
    Liner Socks SmartWool Merino Wool Liner Socks 1.60
    Sun Hat/Cap Baseball Cap 4.00
    Shoes Keen Klamath Hiking Boots 27.00
    Other Items Worn/Carried: 26.30
    Watch Citizen Eco-Drive 6.50
    Sunglasses Oakley FLAK Sun Glasses 2.00
    Map BlackOps map pouch 8.00
    Compass Brunton 8099 Eclipse 3.60
    Fishing License & Wallet License, DL, ATM & Cash 2.00
    Camera Sony W510 4.20
    Knife and Survival 25.63
    Knife Esee 6 11.90
    Sheath & Pouch Esee 6 kydex sheath and pouch 5.70
    Sharpener Redi-Edge Tactical 0.80
    Paracord 1.00
    Whistle on lanyard 0.10
    Fire Steel Lite my Fire Army Fire steel 1.70
    Mini Survival Kit tin container 1.20
    Flash light Maglite Micro + AAA Battery 0.80
    Fishing Kit 0.20
    Button Compass 0.00
    Signal Mirror 0.30
    Water Purification AquaMira Water Purification Tablets 2 0.03
    Fire Starter 0.05
    Fire Tinder 0.05
    Moleskin 0.00
    Emergency Razor Knife 0.20
    Emergency Saw 0.10
    Tin Foil 0.60
    Water Bag 0.30
    Safety Pin 0.00
    Pain Killer Aleve 8 ea 0.00
    Snare Wire 0.03
    Fishing line 0.03
    magnifier 0.00
    Duct Tape 0.00
    sewing needle 0.00
    paper write in rain 0.03
    pencil Mini-pencil 0.03
    Can Opener P38 0.5
    Extra Clothing: 52.60
    Rain Gear Only Pants (Assuming Down Jacket is Water Proof) 6.00
    Crocs Crocs clogs for water walking 9.00
    Insulating Layer Down Jacket 15.0
    Polyproplene Layer Polypropolene Long Johns 10.0
    Gloves Outdoor Research VersaLiner Gloves 2.90
    Stocking Cap Carhart Wool cap 2.80
    Spare Socks SmartWool Mountaineer Socks 5.30
    Liner Socks SmartWool Merino Wool Liner Socks 1.60
    Packing: 54.80
    Backpack Gregory Z65 52.0
    Stuff Sack(s) REI X-Small diddy Stuff Sack 0.70
    Camp Towel MSR Camp Towel 0.90
    Waterproofing Trash Compactor bag 1.00
    Essentials Bag Ziplock Bag 0.20
    Shelter & Sleeping: 117.05
    Sleeping Bag Marmot Sawtooth Membrain 15 degree 52.0
    Compression Sack Granite 11L Compression Sack 3.5
    Sleeping Pad Thermarest Prolite Plus Pad 24.0
    Bivy OR Alpine Bivy (If bugs or weather are issues) 30.50
    Bivy Stakes REI Aluminum Hook stakes (No Bivy no stakes) 1.75
    Drop Cloth Multiuse Contractor Grade Garbage Bag 4.30
    Misquito Net Head net for use when Bivy isnt used 1.00
    Cooking & Hydration: 43.80
    Water Storage CamelBack 3L Hydration Bladder (100 OZ) 6.70
    Water Carrier Platypus 1 lt. bottle 0.90
    Water Purification System MSR AutoFlow system – 14.90 oz 0.00
    Water Purification Seychelle's Advanced water straw 1.50
    Water Purification AquaMira Water Purification Drops 3.00
    Bear Canister Bear Vault BV500 – 41 oz 0.00
    Food Stuff Sack REI Large Stuff Sack for food 6.00
    Cooking Dishes GSI Halulite Micro Dualist 18.00
    Stove MSR Pocket Rocket 3.00
    Soap Camp Soap in microbottle 2.70
    Lighter Bic Mini Lighter 0.50
    Condiments Salt and Pepper Shaker 1.50
    Essentials: 21.85
    Flashlight Black Diamond head lamp 3.20
    Toothbrush Toothbrush 1.00
    Tooth Paste Crest micro tube 0.75
    Toilet Paper Wet wipes 6.00
    Hand Sanitizer Generic small high alchohol content 2.30
    Floss Mini Floss 0.20
    First Aid AMK .3 2.70
    Sunscreen Sunscreen – microbottle 1.30
    Water Purification Katdyn Water Purification Tablets 6 ea 0.00
    Quick Clot 1.00
    Duct Tape AMK Survival Duct Tape Role 0.70
    Hydropel Foot treatment 1.00
    Insect Protection Natrapel 1.70
    Fishing & Tech (only when fishing or Tech is an asset) 47.90
    Fly rod Cabelas LST 9' 4 piece rod 4.7
    Reel Kronic Fly Reel & Pouch 7.90
    Tackle Lanyard Mayfly Lanyard Pouch 20.50
    Phone iPhone 4.70
    Keys 3.30
    Charger and Cable Scosche Charger and iPhone Cable 6.80
    Consumables: 241.00
    Food Total Food (2 days) 128.00
    Stove Fuel Canister 13.00
    Water Water – 10 liter 100.00
    Total Items Worn/Carried (lbs.) 7.00
    Total Base Weight (lbs.) 18.13
    Total Weight of Consumables (lbs.) 15.06
    Total Carried Pack Weight (2)+(3) 33.19

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools