Topic

MYO Newbie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO Newbie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm new to the site, and have found a great amount of info. Now I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Okay, I'm starting to pare down my gear, and thin out the heavy things. I have my sights on a GG Vapor Trail pack (don't convince me otherwise, I like the utility).

However, my main question here has to do with tarp tents. I'm venturing into making my own, and I'm trying to choose between two. One is the Jardine tarptent (2 person) http://tinyurl.com/228kw8, and the Shires-designed tarptent
    http://tinyurl.com/3y68pt. Yes, I want the netting, as in the chance that my wife goes along with me, we'll be entombed in netting. I have heard that the bathtub
    floor of Jardine is good for ground-crawling insects, but the netting in the canopy can be a pain as well.

I'm looking for suggestions and testimonials, before I make by decision and purchase and sew the gear. Also, it is slightly a financial decision as well.

Danke.

Joe

Ben Strickland

@ben_strickland

Locale: Georgia

I can't speak for the second tarptent option you mentioned, but I have ordered a kit from Ray Jardine and plan on sewing it soon. It seems like it will be a moderately difficult project, but well worth the effort. I like the net tent idea, especially the fact that it can be left at home if it is not needed. When I finish it, I'll let you know what I think.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Have you been able to get the tent started yet? I was also wondering if it is necessary to buy the book that comes along with the kit. I have the Beyond Backpacking book, and it shows shome plans and sewing detail, and I was wondering if that would be enough to do this.

Frank Ramos

@frprovis

If you plan to make a tarp or net-tent from Ray's kits, then you should definitely get his tarp book, since that is where all the instructions are. Yes, you can certainly use his kits to make a tarp or bug-bivy without his book, but then you'd have to have some idea of what you wanted. You'd be making your own patterns, essentially.

Personally, I find Jardines designs too complicated, both the sewing and the use in the field, and so I came up with my own. However, I am a solo hiker and my designs would not extend very well to a two-person tarp or bug-bivy. For a beginner who plans on a two-person system, I'd say go with Jardine's design first, then at some future date you might want to remake the net-tent with a more simplified design.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

So I have my tarp. I know some guy on eBay who makes the GoLite Cave. I bought one, and now do not have to make my own tarp. Nice price.

However, I did make my own stuff sacks. I am also going to try and make my own UL lids for the new Granite Gear packs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools