Topic

2012 Gorilla

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2012 Gorilla

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Has been officially posted. It's currently "on sale" for 205 and weighs 25 ounces with pad and stays.

Looks nice…kinda pricey. I bet it's incredibly comfortable. Only available in Medium for the time being.

http://gossamergear.com/packs/gorilla-2012-ultralight-backpack.html

David Ure

@familyguy

I think it looks great and is a more than reasonable price when compared to the HMG Porter, ULA OHM 2.0, etc.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Yes. Compared to HMG, I agree. It's just a big jump from their last model.

Interesting to note is that the pack itself weighs only 16.4 ounces after taking out removable stays and detachable hib belt but keeping the torso pad.

I think the pack looks amazing, wish I could try it on.

David Ure

@familyguy

I agree – trying on would be nice instead of ordering and having to potentially return.

Pack does look really well designed.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Looks nice. The hipbelt looks comfy. Not really sure about the zippered pocket on the lid though.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

I'm wondering about the durability of the bungee compression system and how effective it will be in compressing the load. I'm not sure I buy into the lid, either. In any case, I'm looking forward to the reviews!

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

The pack body is actually listed at 14.4 oz (that is without the hip belt, SitLight pad and the stays).

Anyway, it is a very nice looking pack but I wish the top lid was simply a piece of material that folded over to make a lid rather than a zippered pocket. I am glad that the front pocket is straight across too rather than angled like on the Kumo (not sure what that is supposed to be about…)

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

I dont see the price jump as that big of a problem. I spent about that much for my old gorilla after adding hipbelt pockets. Now they are already there. I just ordered a new one and am super stoked.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Please post impressions when you get it!!!

Will Inman
    BPL Member

@empacitator

Locale: Western Australia

I'm a massive fan of the original Gorilla- I bought it after I read the Highly Recommended review from BPL.

Only problem is that I find it very hard to fault, so how do I justify purchasing the new one? ;)

Cody Lebow

@clebow

I love my gorilla but have an on again off again spat with the shoulder pads. Hoping the new one solves my issues.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Does the old Gorilla (and presumably the new one) fit a small bear can such as Bearikade Weekender?

Cody Lebow

@clebow

I fit a small bearvault no problem.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

man, looks like the ultimate ultralight pack to me. only wish their was straps to lash skis too!

The old Gorilla is the most comfortable pack I've owned.

Kiyoshi Young
    Spectator

@kiloloop

I really like the look of this pack. I hope to here some more user reviews but I'll probably be selling my Jam to get this.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I'm excited to see this pack. I was eyeing the Murmur earlier this year but really wanted something larger in the new design. This might be it.

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Cody, the super wide shoulder straps killed the gorilla for me. Otherwise it would have been perfect for me. Hoping this one is the ticket.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

o my. i love my 2012 gorilla. the shoulder straps are perfect thinckness and the compression system is simple and brilliant at the same time. this thing carries like a dream. i have tried the old murmur, the new murmur, the old gorilla….this pack is head and shoulders above them all with its flexibility and lightyears beyond the old gorilla in terms of form and function. this design is a game changer for gg…i am super impressed.

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

What size did you get Adam?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

medium. fits like a glove on this 19/19.5 torso.

Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

Yes it does – I used this on my recent JMT Hike

Robin McKay
    Spectator

@rlmckay

Locale: Wanaka NZ

I agree re shoulder straps – plus fabric – dyneema better

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Received mine in size Large today. I'm disappointed, and will be sending it back.

Good stuff:

– Frame design is smart, minimalist, and effective. Combined with the waistbelt, the load is effectively transferred to the hips.

– Fold-over top entry is good, makes a nice barrier to rain and offers good access without the pain-in-the-azz of rolltop designs.

– Easily removable sit pad is excellent, though not a new feature.

– Compression system is simple and effective.

– Modularity is great, and one of the chief reasons I tried this pack. 10 lb load for a quick overnight? Ditch the frame and waistbelt. Packmule because you're taking along the girlfriend or wife? Add those components back for a sweet carry.

Lousy stuff:

– The super wide shoulder straps abrade the sides of my neck. Must have been designed by pencil-necked folks. The straps could easily be made 1" narrower. If the load is heavy enough to need a 3"+ shoulder strap, you should be using the included waistbelt and frame, thus not have much load on the shoulder straps.

– Sternum strap attachments are needlessly gimmicky. One crack in the tiny pieces of plastic that anchor it and boom, failure.

– The elastic on the upper edge of the side pockets is thin and chintzy. I have no doubt it would get stretched out and abraded quickly. Putting a 1L Gatorade bottle in there pushes it almost to the max. I think MLD's sewn dyneema tunnel with bungie cord is far superior. Same thing with the top edge of the rear mesh pocket.

– Multiple, obvious high-stress points have no bartacks, just a single pass of thread. This really bugs me.

– Waistbelt pockets are terribly small, you can't fit much more than 2 Clif bars in each one and that's a tight fit. For fractions of an ounce and a couple dollars more in material (literally), the pockets could be much bigger and useful for exactly the same labor cost.

For the money, I think they took too many shortcuts. The reinforced construction I'd like to see would add maybe 10 grams to the weight, and take the worker 15 minutes more time. They boast that it's made in the USA, but I've seen significantly better craftsmanship from China.

I don't think the pack is a total sham, just a waste of great potential.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools