Topic

Marking cuben fiber.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Marking cuben fiber.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

What are people using to mark out patterns on cuben fiber? I find that normal marking tools don't show up well and sharpie is hard to remove. Am I missing something? Thanks

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

BIC pens work great. they leave a thin line but you have to get it flowing good first and dont pull it across the fabric glide it.

-Tim

Jeffrey Stylos
    Spectator

@jsstylos

Locale: Northeast

I've been using a colored pencil, which doesn't work nearly as well on cuben as on nylon (it's hard to see), but at least it's easy to remove. I'd love to find something else that was highly visible and easy to remove. Whiteboard markers maybe?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Try using alcohol to remove sharpie marks. Otherwise, you can use painters tape to layout lines. You can even use a piece of it to write notes or etc on.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I use whiteboard markers to make marks on titanium rods for bending my Zia grills and pot supports. It comes off easily, so you have to be careful not to smear it with your fingers. Alcohol will completely remove it.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I have tried sharpie with alcohol removal which works ok except when you forget to remove it before bonding/sewing it. Color pencil was works ok too. I haven't tried bic yet but will give it a try. The pencils made for fabric are of no use at all. I wonder about the fabric markers they sell at the fabric store? Anyone try those?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

The bic won't come off though just is a very fine line do if you cut on it you won't see it anymore same if you see over it. You can still see it but it gets lost if you bond other cuben against the line. On white it shows we on black it can be *fun* to find and easy to confuse with the black lines in the material.

-Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools