Topic

Freezer bag DIY cozy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Freezer bag DIY cozy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I made a cozy for 1 qt. freezer bags from heavy fleece (not the thicker pile).
    It has a Velcro closure, is light and very effective.

What is your favorite cozy material (if you use a cozy)?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I've been using washed Mountain House bags w/the the corners trimmed smooth to avoid puncturing my food bag. UL and pack smaller than any other I've used.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

This is some reflectix-like bubble wrap I repurposed from an old fishbox. Held together with duct tape, it weighs just under 0.5 oz.

cozy

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

I last used a modified mailing envelope that has small bubblewrap. They are available with smaller bubbles in the smaller envelopes. Those thinner bubbles work well enough, long enough, for the foods and temperatures on my hikes.

First, I bought Reflectrix and it worked too well for me. The food stayed too hot for too long, with the first bite burning my mouth when I was very hungry. For winter temps, or for more people than a solo hiker, reflectrix could do well.

Sounds like I'm suggesting thicker cozies for colder temps–what a concept–I could try that on my sleeping gear too. ;)

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I make my cozies from 3/8" closed cell foam I get from an upholstery supply company (UFO in San Diego).

Works MUCH better than reflectix-like bubble wrap.

Steve

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Ike's method works best for me. It works as a cozy, and then I stick it underneath my sleeping pad overnight for extra insulation there.

–B.G.–

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Freezer bag cozy made from insulated grocery bag ($3.00 from Thrifty Foods, Victoria, BC). Metallic layer on the inside. Tough (unknown) material in the outside. Material is about 1/16" thick. I sewed the bottom and side edges. Top edges on the flap are sealed with coloured duct tape. Velcro closure. Total weight — 35g. Dimensions of the main rectangle — 7.5" wide x 8.75" tall. I haven't tried this one yet but I've used this material before on a pot cozy. It keeps dinner in the pot hot for 45-60 minutes while it is rehydrating.FrontBack

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I use a Fosters can pot and a cozy for that I made out of a wine bottle cooler. I haven't got pictures of what the wine bottler cooler started like but after some careful cutting and dodgy sowing I ended up with this:homemade cozy

It is 3mm thick and weight 26.9g (almost as much as the Foster can itself :( )right on 1 ounce and works VERY well!! Of course I want lighter but it works so well and it is tough so I might keep it till it dies.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Just made a new cozy this week for my new Caldera Keg-F setup, used reflectix-like material from a windshield sun reflector. Designed it to work with the caddy that comes with the kit. Cozy is 0.63 oz.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools