Topic

GG SpinnTwinn Wind Deflection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GG SpinnTwinn Wind Deflection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Question for SpinnTwinn users. I had my SpinnTwinn in the Backyard this past weekend to test in some light wind (< 20 mph). I noticed that even when I had a pretty tight pitch that the ridgeline still was deflecting a bit when a wind gust would come along. Is this normal for those of you that have used the SpinnTwinn in wind? I have always heard how great this shelter was in the wind. I did notice that I could grab one of the poles at the end and pull extra firmly to get a tight ridgeline while in the wind but it seemed to take a level of tensioning that would be difficult to create without putting significant stress on the stake and risk pulling out. Pictures below both with and without wind on my pitch.

SpinnTwinn in light wind

SpinnTwinn in light wind

SpinnTwinn with no wind

SpinnTwinn no wind

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hi Randy.

I don't use a Spinn Twinn, but I do regularly use a Spinnshelter. It does require a good taut pitch to minimize deflection, but I don't find that true with "light" wind, more like gusty conditions. If light wind has got you down I think either you're not pitched taut enough, or your pitch is slightly off, which will make it impossible to tension the ridgeline properly. Spinnaker doesn't stretch, so it's not very forgiving.

In the photos above it looks like your rear pole may be just slightly too long, hard to tell, have you ruled that out?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

For the rear pole I am using the GG SpinnTwinn pole set which is a 32" height on the rear. I also sent an email to GG support just to get their input. I will post the response on this thread as well. I think I may just need some better stakes on the two ends that hold the ridgeline so they can hold a tighter pitch. I was using the Ti shephard hook stakes that GG sells. They are very light but tend to flex a bit under stress and also come out of the ground easier given their very small and round shape. Maybe something like a V stake will work a little better.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

If you're using the prescribed poles, then that shouldn't be the issue.

I like ti hooks too… but I prefer to use Easton 6" stakes on those ridge lines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools