Topic

TQ Shell Material

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear TQ Shell Material

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Hi All

I'm thinking about a new lighter summer / shoulder TQ.
    Probably with 1.5" baffles and around 9-10oz of 900 fill. (Aiming for a 30°F rating)

At this stage I'm looking at using some Thru Hiker M50 for the outer shell and 7d or 8d for the inner shell from Titanium goat.

Is there any huge reason to pay more than double amount and use 7d over 8d ($20/LY vs $7.50/LY) for the inner shell.

Kevin Ridge

@dblcorona

Locale: Southeast MI

I just had a top quilt made for my daughter out of m50 and just completed an under quilt (for hammock) out of 7d. Though the 7d is a little softer to the touch, it's not that big a difference. The top quilt is really nice. I honestly don't think the 7d is 2x better.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

FWIW I find m50 to be quite a bit easier to work with than 7d. I'm not sure about the 8d. Any reason you aren't just using m50 for outer and inner?

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

M50 inner and outer ??

It was suggested to me to use the M50 outer for added weather protection.
    The 7d or 8d for the inner and it's a little more breathable ??

Whats your thoughts ??

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

7D and m50 are similarly breathable, or not that breathable. 8D makes an awesome liner fabric and is even better feeling than 7d and tons better than m50 against the skin. I have been working with these fabrics to find the right combos for our lineup and i really like the 8D and ended up just going with that for now. It can be used for both shell and liner but isn't as windproof as the others so is best used in a bivy but as a liner is good to go with m50, m90 or 7d shells.

-Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools