Topic

NEED ADVICE FOR LONG TRAIL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion NEED ADVICE FOR LONG TRAIL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

Okay so I am doing it the cheap way and bussing from philadelphia to burlington, VT (2 busses, a dollar a piece, total one way $2).

I am looking for advice as to the best way to get a ride to the closest point of the long trail to burlington. Then my plan is to hike south until I reach the southern terminus. At that point I will need to find another ride to Albany (the closest megabus stop to the southern terminus of the LT).

I am willing to pay for rides.

Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

I forgot to mention: this is for JULY 2012

Matt DeLapp

@atrocket10

Not sure if this helps but this is the way I went.. I'm from outside of Philly and hiked the LT nobo last year. I took a bus from NYC to Williamstown Mass and walked to the trailhead from there. When I finished, I hitched across the boarder from North Troy into Mansonville, took a bus to Montreal (where I had friends), and took Amtrak back to Philly. Probably totaled about $150 in traveling costs.

Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

1.what bus service did you use to get to williamstown?

2. how long did the entire hiking trip take?

3. how long was the walk from williamstown to the LT southern terminus?

Matt DeLapp

@atrocket10

Peter Pan

Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

2. how long did the entire hiking trip take?

3. how long was the walk from williamstown to the LT southern terminus?

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

I am doing the long trail in July this year also. I am coming from Ohio. I would be cool with driving you to the starting destination. Send me a PM if your interested and we can figure something out.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

#2: It would be reasonable to take 20-30 days. I did it with a group in 28ish with a few rest days, if you are in really good shape (and the trail is!) you could do it in 15-18.

to answer #3: the LT basically starts in Williamstown. There is a short (3 mile?) trail that starts at the edge of town (very small town) and connects with the AT/LT at the Southern Terminus.

just looked up the Williamstown Approach in the GMC LT guide book. Pine Cobble Trail, 3.3 miles, 620 ft of elevation up the the LT Southern Terminus. Trailhead on Pine Cobble Road. I'm not sure where the bus/train would leave you in Williamstown, but it won't be more than a couple extra miles. I wouldn't be too concerned about adding a few extra miles to 270. The first shelter (if you are using them) is only 2.8 miles in from the Southern Terminus. 2.8 on the LT plus 3.3 on Pine Cobble, plus 2-3 in town is still going to be less than 10 miles for the day.

Vadim Fedorovsky

@socrates

any and all advice is much appreciated

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools