Topic

Kern river or Bighorn Plateau?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Kern river or Bighorn Plateau?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Heya ,
    As I mentioned a while back in a different post, I'm backpacking for 10 days in Kings Canyon starting June 22nd at roads end, up woods creek, south on the JMT, over Glen, over Forester, and eventually over Colby pass, returning via sphinx.

There's 2 routes I see to get from Forester to Colby.
    1. Cut over to see Lake South America, and follow the Kern river to Colby.
    2. Stay on the JMT and head south, check out big horn meadow, and then use the high Sierra trail to cut over toward Colby. (river crossings?)

Any feedback, suggestions etc would very greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Dave T

@davet

If you want to get off trail in a lovely basin (and do some serious talus work), you can head up Milestone Creek, cross Milestone Pass, and down Milestone Bowl to Colby.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If you want to get off trail in a lovely basin (and do some serious talus work), you can head up Milestone Creek, cross Milestone Pass, and down Milestone Bowl to Colby"

+1 Far and away the most scenic route of the three. But, as Dave says, the price of admission is some serious talus work.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I definitely want to try that route sometime. Might save that for another trip.
    This time I'm guessing I'll take one of the easier routes since we're covering a lot of mileage the first several days.

From the pictures I've googled, it sounds like Bighorn Plateau is the winner. Am I right?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools