Topic

MH Micro Dome, SW Cuffed Beanie? Or?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MH Micro Dome, SW Cuffed Beanie? Or?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Affleck

@utcoyote

For a light weight, all purpose – camp, sleep, whenever, 3 season hat.

Mountain Hardwear Micro Dome vs. Smart Wool Cuffed Beanie? Any opinions? Other/better options?

Thanks!

– Dave

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I have a couple of Microdomes and LOVE them. Light, warm, small, and awesome.

I've not used the SW hat, but my wife knit me a merino wool hat from sock yarn, and it's also very nice. But for backcountry use I'll take the microdome. Did I mention how much I LOVE it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Mountain Hardwear Micro Dome vs. Smart Wool Cuffed Beanie? Any opinions? Other/better options?"

We may be talking about the same thing here but, just in case we're not, you might want to take a look at the MH Airshield Micro Dome. 1.6 oz, windproof, and VERY warm.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Kat (a member here) makes handmade beanies of various style and yarns. I own one. Her site: http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear/mountaingoat-hats-goods-store/

Also for spares, in the car, or just a cheap but great option is an acrylic beanie from Walmart. I prefer ones w/a cuff so I can "unroll" it to cover my nose when sleeping for warmth.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

I have the Smartwool beanie. It rocks. It's long enough to cover your face for sleeping, not too bulky, not too terrible in warmish weather, a life saver when it gets downright cold.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The MH Power Stretch Beanie is another good option, maybe a little more wind-resistant than a straight 100-wt fleece.

Btw, several of the MH hats are on sale at sierra trading post, including the Airshield Micro Dome Beanie, the Power Stretch Beanie and the Micro Dome Beanie (colors can be limited, though).

David Affleck

@utcoyote

I had noticed the STP sale, kind of nudged me to make a decision and get a hat ordered. I'm now leaning towards one of the wind resistant MH Micros that have been mentioned. Although, I'm a big fan of wool too, so having a hard time deciding still.

Appreciate the feedback!

– Dave

Marcus Strohm
    BPL Member

@afterburner2020

Locale: SE Texas

I've been using one of the fleece hats Joe over at Zpacks makes for a while now and have been very happy with it, very warm for the weight (0.9oz)

http://zpacks.com/accessories/fleecehat.shtml

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools