Topic

Why Aren’t There Many X-Pac Packs Out There?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why Aren’t There Many X-Pac Packs Out There?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    J M

@hmr3d

Seems like a great tough, somewhat waterproof material (not sure what 200psi translates into for real world use), but I'm not finding any packs that use a lot of it. Ideally I'd like something ~50L, internal frame, and under 3lbs.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The only two companies I know of using it are Wild Things and Cilo Gear.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The new Mountain Hardwear Thruway makes selective use of it (VX-40 I believe?). Check out Dave's impressions on it here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=59678

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

It's DX-40, but yes, MH and maybe some others are using it selectively in their packs.

Chris Zimmer on here can probably make you something custom as well.

J M

@hmr3d

Maybe I'm off base here, but I've yet to see another fabric that's as tough, waterproof, and light. I'm surprised there aren't any full x-pac options out there. I love me some bomber, lightweight, (stand-alone) highly waterproof gear.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I would say Cuben qualifies as tough, waterproof, and light.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I would say Cuben qualifies as tough, waterproof, and light.

Depends on the Cuben. The material Hyperlite Mountain Gear is using is pretty close to the VX versions of Xpac in regards to waterproofness and toughness for real-world usage. Zpacks is also using something similar in at least one of their packs.

David Ure

@familyguy

I would also add spectra, dyneema, and dyneema gridstop in that group.

Mystery Ranch uses X-pac in some of their packs.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

DyneemaX (or gridstop or whatever) is a PU coated fabric and the coating eventually wears off, so at least from a waterproof durability standpoint it doesn't compare to the laminates. I can't speak to woven dyneema (or spectra…same thing) since I haven't seen them in person.

J M

@hmr3d

I'm obviously somewhat of a noob, but Cuben just doesn't strike me as being nearly as tough as x-pac (though it may still be considered tough in the world of ultralight backpacking).

Well, if x-pac isn't an option (outside of $$$ custom), is there a pack anyone is thinking of that's ~50L & is <3lb/internal frame?

J M

@hmr3d

x-pac…stuff's bomberxpsad

David Ure

@familyguy

Eventually can be a long time depending on how long you use the fabric and how you use it.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

It can be for sure, but I've seen quite a few examples with less than a year of use. :-)

David Ure

@familyguy

I need to get out more.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Simple answer: cost.
    There are cheaper fabrics out there.

Cheers

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

opps- double post

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Hi J.M.

There are a lot of different X Pac fabrics and there are a lot of different type Cuben fabrics.

Perhaps the first thing that helps on comparing pack fabrics is the base weight of the fabric itself. I will generalize the following info so you can see a little of what I mean- of course many pages could be written on this and it would still not be perfectly clear….oh well…

The Dyneema X that we use – and similar dyneema gridstop fabrics used by many others- is about 4oz sq/yd

Some lighter dyneema gridstop is in use at about 3oz sq/yd but it's less than half the strength of the 4oz and really only save a couple oz's in the finished pack.

The Cuben that a few smaller pack makers use is about 3- 4oz sq/yd- but some use heavier styles for some packs – especially burly climbing packs.

The X Pac style used is mostly above 4oz sq yd. except in the MYOG circles.

Overall- each type of pack fabric has it's pluses and minuses- nothing is clearly better in all areas IMO.

A few criterion that go up and down in desirability between them all for an end user includes Durability (tear and abrasion), Water Resistance (either as a coating or other means), Price, Repairability, Color, Sustainability, Cost per day/Service Life. etc.

For a manufacturer also add sewing/construction ability/issues, dependable availability issues and over time the fabrics quality from run to run- I guess those are all mainly price issues for the end user too.

SO, if you take those fabrics in the 3-4oz range as a way to make it more apples to apples- then you can start to see some tradeoffs that make sense. For example , we have made lots of custom packs from X pac but in that weight range we think the Dyneema X is overall better- lot of needle holes in light X pac is problematic for tearing along the lines. The cuben in that wt range is very strong but expensive and I think the abrasion is bit lower until it get to the 4+oz range. Some people think the Dyneema X WP coating wears off too fast- but thats an opinion too- I know many who get multiple thru-hikes out of them just fine.

Personally, I'm thinking that if a UL 16oz $175 pack lasts 2-4000 miles and 100-200 days on the trail ( I know many of our users and other UL pack companies too get that longevity all the time) maybe that's a good deal at a bucka day for a special UL pack. Others may disagree and want 50cent or maybe 10cent per day return on investment.

In general- the heavier the pack the longer it can last assuming the base fabric is heavier and all else on the pack is the same.

For a well made SUL / UL 16oz pack what do you think is a fair cost per day for use over a reasonable service life? $2, $1 , $.50, ?

EX: Would a 6oz overall increase in a 16oz pack weight be worth bringing the avg cost of use per day down $.30?

How about the reverse? Would an increase to $2 per day cost to use be worth a 16oz pack dropping 6oz?

Everyone will have their sweet spot for the equation!

J M

@hmr3d

I understand where you're coming from. I guess my desire for a pack with a burlier fabric doesn't quite fit in to the BPL philosophy. I'm hard on my gear, and often use it when traveling overseas, so to me it's worth it to have something that is less prone to failing in the long & short-term.

For me, x-pac (I believe the DX-40 variety) is the sweet spot. It may not be the lightest thing out there, but I'll take that penalty for improved abrasion resistance and waterproofing.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Add me to those who greatly prefer xpac to dyneema x. I think the ideal pack fabric would be basically DX40 with a lighter face fabric. Maybe 200d dyneema instead of 400d.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

JM,
    Wish you had provided some more detail about the bubbly Xpac you posted.
    So far, I cannot find any negatives about the 5 oz. product, VX07, if that is it.
    If anyone has given that a run for the money, would greatly appreciate hearing about how well it held up. Thanks.

J M

@hmr3d

Snagged from here:

http://brisbaneoutdoorgear.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html (scroll down past half way)

J M

@hmr3d

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Like CW said…

…ZimmerBuilt.

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/xpac-backpacks.html

Party On,

Newton

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools