Topic

mug / bowl happiness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) mug / bowl happiness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I just wanted to share some mug / bowl happiness with the forums. I have never been satisfied with my eating setup. I sometimes eat out of freezer bags, but prefer a bowl, and coffee / hot drinks are important to me.

It has gotten better since switching to the generic twist-lock containers to use as a bowl, but haven’t found a suitable mug. My plastic Tim Horton mug is great and weighs very little, but doesn’t nest into anything so it ends up being quite a bit of bulk in my pack.

I recently picked up a pair of zelph’s 1-cup jobbers. I think it is supposed to be a tiny pot, but it works great as a mug. Best of all, it nests inside of the twist-lock containers. I was worried that it would not have enough volume for a big old cup of coffee, but its actual volume is well over 1 cup. I didn’t measure it, but it holds nearly the same as my big coffee mug for home. I think the 1-cup designation must be for how much water you can boil in there without it boiling over. I was also worried that putting a cozy on it would make it too tall for the twist-lock containers, but it fits perfectly.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

A couple of notes:

I made the mug cozy a little shorter than the mug so it does not touch my lips when drinking. I will look for one of the silicone bands to see if they fit around the brim. If not, I will just be careful.
    Also, I like the Target brand twist-lock containers. They have a bit more volume than the ziploc’s which have these indentations along the sides.mug bowl setpacked up

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

very slick!

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

At the moment i'm going with the short/wide campbells soup cups. 1.5c volume and is insulated. plenty of room for hot chocolate and oatmeal.. or to dish some dinner out of the cooking pot. I trimmed the sharp metal edge.

it also fits a 8oz canister perfectly inside so it protects my pot when i nest it all inside.

cup

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools