Topic

Preparations for DuoMid clone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Preparations for DuoMid clone

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alex Broekhof
    BPL Member

@meppo

Locale: Dolomites, Yosemite

Hi all,
    I'm starting to think about sewing a DuoMid clone, but I'm unsure of a few particulars, because I've never seen the tent close-up. My questions at this point are:

1) The front on the tent seems very taut in the pictures. How is this achieved with the vent at the top? Is there a strap that continues from the zipper to the apex?

2) Are the edges catenary cut? If so, to what degree? From the taut pitches I see on the website, I assume there is a curve to the seams, but just want to get a sense.

3) What is a good weight of Silnylon to be using?

I've included a picture from the MLD website here for reference:
    Duomid (from MLD website)

Thanks for your help!

-Alex

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

What you see is why the MLD products are in such great demand, while similar products from some competitors are not.

The cutting, sewing, curve, etc must be precise to get a very taught pitch with no wrinkles. Its apparently harder to pull off than it seems at first.

Lack of a few wrinkles is mostly aesthetics though, but it is sweet.

Alex Broekhof
    BPL Member

@meppo

Locale: Dolomites, Yosemite

I'm not doubting any of that, but since I don't have a DuoMid lying around to see how they obtain their great results, I thought I would see if anyone who owns one could share a bit of info.

I've seen the above referenced post about the custom DuoMid–looks really good, probably better than I can do. But again, I am trying to find out about the actual MLD DuoMid, so that I can know for sure what I'm doing.

Thanks for your comments.

-Alex

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools