Topic

Men with 28 inch waist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Men with 28 inch waist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Any other guys on here with a 28" waist? What pants or shorts fit you well?

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

I'm a 32" and 'size inflation' over the last decade in US clothing has made buying clothes tough enough for me. At 28", shopping must be near impossible for you. Good Luck, or go to Europe or Asia to shop, where people are still more normal sized.

Adam Wallace

@a-wallace

Locale: somewhere

check little boy sizes

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

So it would seem. I've actually become quite the fan of euro brands over the past year. Even Rab stops at a 30 but it looks like Montane may work.

Nice to see someone acknowledge the waist inflation problem with legwear. :-)

Ron W

@miles2go

Locale: White River National Forest

Somehow I'm still a 32 but I'd go with the ones that come close to fitting and then wash and dry them a few times. At least that's how I've lost several pair to the donation pile. I have some "Patagucci" pants that are almost there so you may want to check that brand. For most of my hiking I wear Prana brand pants. The ones I have don't shrink and are impressively durable…really.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Patagonia has size 28.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Should have asked me in 1976.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I was a very happy man when I finally 'graduated' from 28 to 30 — and then 32!!

But answering your question… REI pants come in Small (28") size. There is also MontBell — including their Japanese site. I am sure BPLers in Japan will help ship stuff to you if MontBell won't.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Haha. I've gone from 40 to 28.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Have you considered trying on a pair of women's pants? Not trying to be funny. You can find the smaller waist sizes, I think they might be a bit bigger in the hips?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Haha. I've gone from 40 to 28."

Wow. Curious, how tall are you? I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, with 32" waist. The most average of average. :)

Chris Wright
    Spectator

@chriswrightcycles

Chris,

Check out Outlier (www.outlier.cc). Their clothes are geared towards the urban cycling crowd, but some items are also suitable for hiking. Check out the "climbers". If you like a slim fit, you'll love em. 4 way stretch nylon, DWR on the fabric, cut longer than most pants.

Expect to pay $198 for a pair, shipped to your door.

Got mine last month and wear them (almost) every day. Best purchase I've made in years. If the company shows the slightest sign of closing shop, I'll buy a bunch of these and stockpile them…

Good luck!
    -Chris

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

Try Redington. S&C had some of their zip-off pants recently. Size small is 28-30.

http://www.redington.com/

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I've had good luck with Arc'Teryx.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Then you can do any size

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

When your in shape and want clothes that fit you have little choice but to shop at high end clothing stores/brands for clothes that are "fitted". The problem is worse if you have broad shoulders and chest with narrow waist. Most every one makes the chest and waist the same width or even the waist larger. You will save a ton of money buying from the clearance rack at high end stores and online.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

lol, I "graduated" from 28 to 29.

My $19.99 "sm/30" bass-pro shop zip-convertable fishing pants (12 oz) are my favorite "long pants." My Ex-Officio "28-30" shorts work well too. Old Navy for bang-around cotton shorts.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Just checking my email now, I see that I told Ben Smith a year ago that I had a 31" waist, when sizing my down pants. Funny, all my jeans and pants which are sized 30" require a belt. That's some hefty inflation for ya ;)

Anyhow, Chris, what kind of pants are you looking for? Outdoor pants? zip off pants? dress/work pants?

Most of my outdoor stuff has some elasticity to the waist, so I usually just opt for a size small, or 30, and they fit is great. This is especially true with my running shorts.

I'm a string bean like you, at only 5'9" 132-138lbs,
    I've tried the following pants, with great results:

Wind pants: Montbell Dyanamo

Running shorts: Just about any brand in small

Durable traditional shorts: Prana

Zip off pants: MHW Mesa (Surprisingly, seeing as Columbia is their parent company, and their stuff is ridiculously baggy)

Soft shells: Marmot Scree (very athletically cut, to my surprise)

Work pants: J. Crew urban slim fit :)

In general, I can also fit into a Youth Large for pants
    And as others have mentioned, British/Euro Brands like Montane, Rab, CampUSA are great bets.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I use running shorts for when it is hot and also have a small rei pants. Both have an elastic stretch to them and fit fine. The bigger issue with me having such a small waist is getting a hipbelt from a backpack fit well…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Outdoor/technical primarily. I've been able to find jeans that fit ok. I have on some older Mountain Hardwear Refueler shorts right now that are a small and fit ok, but most more traditional styled hiking shorts and pants are a couple of inches too big in a small. Montane says their extra small is for a 28, so I'm checking in to those.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

i have a pair of light zip off pants from REI that say medium (probably a small now) but have a elastic waist and belt that work for me. i haven't backpacked much until recently so they've held up since '96 or so haha.

my rain pants are patagonia size small that fit perfect.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>Outdoor/technical primarily

I have a 30" waist, and have found Mountain Hardwear hiking pants and shorts to fit well — true to size. I just bought a pair of Marmot rain pants, also a good fit.

My big problem are shirts — I need a medium for my shoulders, but too often end up with excess fabric at the bottom…

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have a 31 inch waist, 30 is a little too small and 32 is a little too big. And to top it off, sometimes 30 is more like 32 and 32 is more like 30, depending on the brand. I don't wear hiking pants anymore, I just wear running shorts most of the time and put some long underwear on underneath them. Not the most fashionable thing, but it works for chilly mornings and hot days.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"check little boy sizes"

I lol'd…

bm

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools