Topic

Fast Hiking JMT: Sleep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I've been putting 2000 calories (1 lb Perpetuem) into a 2L bottle. Since I've started on the MyoGel (thread in nutrition), I put 2000 cals in 42 oz – a 32 oz Gatorade in the pack and a 10 oz baby bottle. That's a 2+ hour/bottle strength and is just about right for thickness. The baby bottle is nice and tiny so it slips into my pocket (thanks Brett). I haven't figured out how I'm going to reload easily on trail since the gatorade bottle isn't 40 oz. Prolly mix half first, pour 10 oz into BB, top off.

I might change this to carry 10 hours (30 mi) worth in solution since that is how far I want to hike per major stop. Or have some Perpetuem solids on hand for when a hike is extended.

I haven't yet done a multi-leg trip with this protocol yet, but in the past I have liked to start on the nuts (1/4 lb ~800 calories) about 1 hour before my destination. Keeps my gut from feeling sluggish while on trail and provides a broad carb+protein+fat load for recovery. Starting to look at MyoBars. There are some good looking recipes in the threads.

What a difference from leisure hiking nutrition. I guess the idea will be to hurry up and finish so I can eat real food!

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I'm a big fan of perpetuem, but NOT the solids. I have never heard anyone say anything good about them they are very expensive, have you calculated how many you must eat to get a decent amount of calories ?
    and you need water to make them go down or you'll gag.
    easier just to carry a spare baggie of perpetuem powder, or even a spare bottle.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Yup, I don't particularly care for the solids either. You can't eat them if you are panting or you'll get a nice lung burn from the dust going down. 6 tabs/hour, so I was just thinking if the gel runs out, I can keep on going so I won't have to stop and make up a small batch.

Better yet is to make up some MyoBars. Reading/working on recipe ideas…

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

if you're only shooting for a sub 5 day effort, Reinhold Metzger did 5 days 7 hours unsupported at age 62. I'm pretty sure his secret was long slow days and a short nights sleep.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Here's a shot at <5 days. I tried not to end a hike with a big uphill. Would've been easier to do that NoB, but alas, no lottery winnings.

5 days Itinerary

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Nathan – if you really prefer to do NOBO on the JMT, there are always no shows if you can hang around Lone Pine for a couple extra days.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

on your sub 5 day push, do you plan to take a bear cannister or not ?
    even a Bearikade Scout weighs 1.75 lb

it seems many record attempters do not take one.
    I would really like to know how they get around this requirement?
    … a ranger stops them,
    they say "I'm going for the record",
    ranger says "ok no problem",
    something like that ??

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

I'll be taking a cannister. I've gotten to know bears that have been destroyed in Kings Canyon. For years we sighted the same female up on the Hotel Creek trail who started getting into food, we watched her have cubs, and then once the cubs were weaned, she was destroyed. I've chased off the same magnificent, enormous male on Bubbs Creek a couple times, and I heard he was destroyed. My son and I came within about ten feet of him while we were barreling around the trail – surprise! 500 pound bear at 12 o-clock!

I do grumble a bit about those who don't take a cannister. It's part of the course, like getting a permit. I see it as a bit of a cheat, but not as great as, say, taking the shorter Mist Trail above Happy Isles rather than the true JMT. Not carrying a cannister also gives a bad name to the "sport" and to UL/SUL as well. Two good friends have been rangers up there and poor compliance with bear management regulations is one of the more frustrating things for them.

However, I don't put a mental asterisk besides anyone's record because I don't think it makes that big a difference – about 1% total weight in my case. Compare that to a single sideslip that starts a blister.

All my training has been with a 25 pound pack – 6L of liquids down to 12-15 pounds of useless base weight filler. I haven't sussed out my UL gear yet. That's coming soon – still much reading to do.

BTW, since you've asked others, I'll be 50 when I do this. Nothing like a fitness goal to get fit!

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Technically, the requirement for bear cans only applies in certain areas, at least this was the rule in the early 2000s. As I recall, there was about a 60 mile section that a bear can was required if you camped there. I'm not actually sure what camping means, when it comes to a speed trip. For myself, I lay down on the ground for an hour or two. If a bear had come I would have just got up and walked away. I never did see a bear on those trips. In any event, on my JMT speed trips I did encounter rangers, obviously did not have a bear can (given pack size), and was never questioned about it. Brett avoided rangers, I believe, because he didn't want to take the time to talk to anyone.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I've been by several rangers while doing multi day hiking trips without a canister. I let them know that I know where the locations are for storage and will only sleep there or take naps in the day time.
    None of them ask questions or give you any bit of a hard time about it. Everyone of them has understood what you are doing and you go on your marry way.

On the other hand, while hanging out getting used to the elevation somewhere, then I take it (of course).

f you are planning on taking a bear canister along with a pack that covers everything, there is no way you are going to cover 40 mile days on the JMT unless you plan on hiking 18-20 hours a day. JMT milage is unlike any other trail. 40 miles on the JMT at altitude is a llooonng ways. I can hike 46 on the Rea Lakes Loop in about 17 1/2 (hiking only). The thing about the loop is you start at 5,000' where the JMT averages about 10,200'. I would look at trying to make 35 and doing the trail in under a week. If you want to cover 40 a day, you should be carrying no more than 15-20 pounds at any given time and expect to get no more than 3-4 hours of sleep a night. If you can pull that off, then 40 is doable.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Managed to get in a 33 mile training hike this weekend. Not ideal, but I take what I can squeeze in. Since my last training hike 2 weeks ago, I had put in 6 hikes of 7.0 to 10.4 miles, 3.6 to 4.37 mph averages. This hike started out as a family deal then I continued on my own.

Started at 11:00 am with plenty of sleep.
    Weather was sunny to 72 degrees, always a nice breeze blowing.
    Pack was 15 pounds base, 25 pounds full.
    Hiked 9.3 miles with family, then 23.7 miles solo.
    Elevation was +/- 4380 by my reckoning, +/-5980 by runkeeper.
    Total pace was 17:50, 3.36 mph.
    Family leg was 19:48, 3.03 mph
    Solo leg was 17:05, 3.51 mph
    Took no breaks except to refill the hydropack (1x5min), reload the MyoGel (6x1min), and drop off the fam (1×2 min).

I stopped because of the time, but I was not flagging in the least and could've kept going:
    33 mile trainer

Kinks:
    I tried a new MyoGel formula, this time putting all the electrolytes in the mix (equiv. to 3 Endurolytes caps/hour). Also, I used half plain/half vanilla whey powder to dampen the sweetness. Result was a slightly unpleasant saltiness.

At mile 24, I started getting occasional spasms in my right quad and calf. This prevented me from storming up flights of stairs as this would set it off. Also at this time the thought of the salty MyoGel was unappetizing – I would have thought the other way around if I was low on electrolytes. I found myself craving the sweet nectar MyoGel I had previously concocted.

At mile 27, I was getting nauseous so I stopped the MyoGel. My stomach settled down within the hour, but the spasms were still threatening. Once home, I had a couple foot cramp episodes, but all is well by morning.

My total water intake was 6.5L over 9 hours. I lost 3 pounds.
    Total calorie intake was 1800. Total burn was 4700.
    Total sodium was 500mg, potassium was 270mg, Mg was 200mg, and Ca was 550mg.
    Add to that a banana just before I set out.
    I weigh 175 pounds (now :)

I'm not sure what happened to cause the spasms. I get the conflicting indicators of spasms and an aversion to salty liquids.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Nathan – are you over thinking this a bit ?
    for his 5 day effort, I think 62 year old Reinhold ate Pringles, potato chips, and cookies.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Definately overthinking, but having a lot of fun doing it. That said, I sure don't want locked up legs 100 miles in. I also don't want to blow out my energy and kill days 2-5, so I'm finding my exhaustion point and pushing that.

Reading Brett's and Popov's TRs, there's good reasons to take a second and third look at elements I always take for granted when hiking 16 miles a day.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"At mile 24, I started getting occasional spasms in my right quad and calf."

Nathan – Just speculating, because I don't know the concentration of your drink, but the spasms have me wondering if perhaps the solution was too concentrated and you were drawing water from your body to equalize the concentration on both sides of the intestinal lumen. Just a thought.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Tom –

MyoGel recipe

1 pound, in 64 oz water, 50 ounces were consumed in 7 hours:

Maltodextrin 12 [oz] 341 [g]
    Whey Protein 4 [oz] 114 [g]
    Soy Lecithin 0.25 [oz] 7 [g]
    Cr Picolinate 200 mcg 3.5 [tabs] 700 [mcg]
    Choline 250 mg 1.5 [tabs] 375 [mg]
    A-L-Carnitine 500 mg 1 [tabs] 500 [mg]
    NaCl 0.25 [tsp] 570 [mg]
    KCl 0.125 [tsp] 305 [mg]
    MgO 250 mg 1 [tabs] 250 [mg]
    Ca Citrate 300 mg 2 [tabs] 630 [mg]
    Total 462 [g]

Nothing else but sips on the hydration pack at about 5L in 7 hours.
    It all seems right, especially considering popping Endurolytes at 1 cap every 20min is recommended.

Still puzzled.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Could it be too much chlorine, ie use Potassium Citrate instead?

Basically I'm surprised given that I used to live off powerbars of various sorts without issue, although this is the second longest hike I've ever done.

This is why we do the trial hikes!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"1 pound, in 64 oz water, 50 ounces were consumed in 7 hours:

Maltodextrin 12 [oz] 341 [g]
    Whey Protein 4 [oz] 114 [g]
    Soy Lecithin 0.25 [oz] 7 [g]
    Cr Picolinate 200 mcg 3.5 [tabs] 700 [mcg]
    Choline 250 mg 1.5 [tabs] 375 [mg]
    A-L-Carnitine 500 mg 1 [tabs] 500 [mg]
    NaCl 0.25 [tsp] 570 [mg]
    KCl 0.125 [tsp] 305 [mg]
    MgO 250 mg 1 [tabs] 250 [mg]
    Ca Citrate 300 mg 2 [tabs] 630 [mg]
    Total 462 [g]

Nothing else but sips on the hydration pack at about 5L in 7 hours."

Most reading I have done indicates a concentration by weight of 6-8% is optimal for absorption. Your concentration when the 5 L of water is included is ~7%, so my speculation turned out to be wrong. At least that is one less possibility to consider now.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If this is the second longest hike you've done then keep everything the same and do it again. You may find that you simply overdid it for the training you've had so far.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Harder but shorter, some good, some not so.

29.8 miles +5400 ft. (runkeeper reports 7632 ft)
    3.14 average including all stops.
    Longest stop was <5 min.
    The course went twice up a 750 ft/mi grade for 2.2 mi.
    First time up was at mile 16, no problem doing 3 mph.
    Second time up was at mile 24, slowed to 2.75 mph.

I took the electrolytes out of the MyoGel – too salty last time.
    Replaced KCl with K citrate in the new MyoLyte caps I made up.
    Made 300 of them. Got a real appreciation for Greg's PCT prep work.
    Consumed ~200 kcal/hour, 3 MyoLyte/hour (same as Endurolytes)
    No issues at all with nausea or energy level.

Had my laces too tight at start, got some pain on the fore-tops of both feet.
    Loosened, but too late – by the end I was getting a recurring sting in my right foot. I would have continued another 15 miles home, but the pain just wasn't the right kind for walking through.

Back home I found my right foot black and blue on top. 600 mg ibuprofen. Close inspection shows the tendon sheath over my big toe extensor is inflamed, not smoothly letting the tendon slide. Probably a little torn.

Bought Fixing Your Feet. Reading.

Caleb Boyle

@calebb

ibuprofen isn't going to do much for you healing and health-wise. How about an ice bath, some trigger point work, and an application of arnica?

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Ibuprofen is a strong anti-inflammatory and quickly knocks down the swelling. Ice is best. I thought trigger point work was for congestive or telegraphed pain, not for acute damage related pain. Arnica is topical, right? There's something to be said for local application rather than whole-body saturation.

Caleb Boyle

@calebb

Yes, the arnica is topical. I have found the Arnicare gel by Boiron works better than some of the others that I have tried. Works great for pretty much any sprains, bruises, acute swelling, ect.

By trigger point work, I meant working out some of the lower leg muscles including the extensors that are inflamed. This will help relieve some of the muscle tension so that the tendonitis doesn't hang around. Check out the trigger point therapy workbook by Davies.

Caleb

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Not blunt at all in my book:) If anyone has a problem being blunt it's me, and I don't see it until days after.

Some years ago I was given Davies' The Frozen Shoulder which I spent about 30 min skimming and tossed aside as glorified massage, whence my spurious knowledge of trigger points. But if it is one thing I've internalized of late, it's that a tight grip leads to cramps – and that applies to beliefs and dogma as well as bad physical form. And so in the spirit of deep breathing, thinner soles, and a lighter, looser pack, all of which have nearly trebled my range and enjoyment in just a few short months, I'm going to read Davies again. Thanks.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools