Topic

Stoic Somnus 30 on steep and cheap now

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Stoic Somnus 30 on steep and cheap now

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Meadors

@nickoli

Locale: Teh Front Range

They've had the 15 degree bag on recently as well, but at 1lb 6 oz for the long and only 150 bucks new…seems like a sweet deal.

only 20 mins left, but i've seen them two or three times in the past couple days

Thomas Budge

@budgthom

Locale: Idaho

Thanks for the heads up, Nick. I've been in the market awhile, just waiting for the right price. This fit the bill. Hopefully turns out to be a good decision …

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

It appears to be a quality shell, and good down, good price point and weight.

But a lot of buyers seem to hate the center zip, and the zipper ends up on their face too and irritates them.

A bag you cant stand isnt worth anything

If backcountry had a clue, they would come out with a side zip that would compete with the UL ss3 and summerlite , but at $225 price point and they would have a real winner.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

The center zip makes this an ideal bag for side sleepers, who won't be bothered at all by the center zip – in fact. it's preferable!

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Can anyone speak to the quality of the bag?

If it pops up on Steep and Cheap again I'd like to get it. I have a WM Alpinlite which is more bag than I need for this time of year.

Russ Porter

@russp17

Locale: Anchorage

So far so good on my sleeping bag. I've used it probably 25 nights so far and it appears in as good as shape as when I got it. For the money it's a hard bag to beat!

Ben F

@tekhna

Love mine

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

Go fast. It is on right now.

Mark Rash
    Spectator

@markrvp

Locale: North Texas

Thanks for the feedback. My Steep and Cheap alert went off in Church today (on Easter Sunday) for the Somnus 30 bag and I was able to grab one. I have a Philmont shakedown in 2 weeks and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

They have also had the VAMP bag which is 650 fill for $99 a couple of times yesterday. If that comes back up it might be worth looking at for scouts and scouters going to Philmont.

Nicholas Meadors

@nickoli

Locale: Teh Front Range

just throwing it out. Stoic vamp 30 degree, 650 fill, 1lb 15oz for long. On steep and cheap now.

Pete Acker
    BPL Member

@pka45

Had to watch these bags and held back. If I could just sell my BA Pitchpine!

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I picked up a Somnus 30 when it was on SaC, it arrived yesterday. I haven't gotten to sleep in it yet, but initially it looks really nice. The few things that I'm not thrilled with are so far minimal, and likely 'quirks' rather than shortcomings.

$160 to my door for a $300 bag was too good to pass up. The CFO wasn't thrilled, so now I need to make a decision, keep the Somnus, or the 2 month old TNF Gold Kazoo. Luckily I got the TNF bag from Backcountry as well.

Hmm…

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

Somnus 30 up on SaC for $155.

20 mins left as of 730pm MDT

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools