Topic

I’m kinda surprised there is no SMD Swift review by BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I’m kinda surprised there is no SMD Swift review by BPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

It's kind of a perennial favorite and had a new model come out last year with significant changes. No review? Why oh why BPL?

I'm trying to figure out why it seems like it's as durable and quality as various other bags and is by far the cheapest.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have both a Starlite and an original (2010) Swift. I can't comment on the changes made in 2011 (which all seem positive) but I can tell you that both packs are easy to carry, spacious, well-built, and rugged.

If you're considering one I'd encourage you to buy it. SMD will take it back if you don't like it and they have pretty good resale value on Gear Swap if you use it for a couple of trips and then change your mind.

Perhaps you can be the one to write the review…

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

There are and there aren't. Many people review and comment on items, not many people do a full on formal review. Google search without quotes "site:backpackinglight.com smd swift"

That'll pop up people who have had questions, and people who have given opinions.

Also, since it's what got me to purchase mine, and also given my hetero man-crush for Stick (the well informed prolific reviewer who buys everything I want, have wanted, and want-to-buy-but-didn't-know-about), http://sticksblog.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/six-moon-designs-swift/ is a good review, though I don't think it's necessarily the latest iteration of the pack.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the review.

I am in the market for my first UL Pack. I have used a Deuter 3600 for about 5 years. It's a bomb proof bag, but it also weighs 3 1/2+ pounds.

I am torn between the SMD Swift and the MLD Exodus. Because I have never used a frameless bag, I can't get over the fact that the MLD line has no stays or anything (except the new inflatable thing) – yet everyone loves the line and seems to say they are incredibly comfortable. There is just something about it. I think it reminds me of a high school backpack or something. I think that is where my attraction to the Swift comes in, with its removable stays. It's closer to my "comfort zone".

And like I said in the OP, my attraction to the swift begs the question, how in the world is it so cheap compared to the Exodus, and why?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Maybe SMD will not give a Swift to review? I have no idea if that's the case, just throwing that out there.

Ryan

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

The SMD Swift was included in the 2011 State of the Market Report on lightweight frameless packs:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/frameless_backpacks_sotm_part3_2011.html

The pack that was completely left out of the recent State of the Market Reports on packs (frameless and internal frames) was the popular ULA Ohm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools