Topic

GoLite Quest question??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Quest question??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ben kohl

@benkohl

Locale: Northeast

Has anyone bought this pack yet? I am real interested in it for PCT this May. I'll have a base weight of @ 25 lbs and will sometimes go close to twice that for short periods with food and water. Wondering if it has the chops for that. Any other pack suggestions (can't afford a Mchale) appreciated for these parameters. Thanks!
    Ben

Jim Ells

@ellsfamily

Mine is somewhere on a UPS truck. Due here on the 14th. I will be loading it up and testing up to 40 lbs. I plan on using it for a nine day trip in August in the High Sierra. I bought it after searching for around 4500 ci in the 3lb. range. I knew my Mariposa would not take the beating(although I really love it!). Will Reitveld's report sold me on it. I will report back on how it handles.
    Jim

ben kohl

@benkohl

Thanks. Looking forward to learning how it fares. Is Will Reitvelds report here at BPL? Did not show up in a quick search.

ben kohl

@benkohl

Never mind. I found it. Enjoy the test–it looks great except for concerns about getting the fit right.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ben:

Stating the obvious, fit is an individual thing. What if Will writes that the pack fits him like a glove? You'd still have to try it on for yourself regardless, right?

Sounds like a positive review overall. Good luck with your pack hunting.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>I will report back on how it handles.

Looking forward to your report. I'm fine with my Mariposa Plus for summer, but I'd like something big for winter volumes (synthetic quilt) that weighs less than my Dana Designs pack, which alone constitutes 1/3 of my winter base weight.

Jim Ells

@ellsfamily

My pack arrived on the 14th and I just came in from a 4 mile hike/snowshoe with 31 lbs. in the pack and my 6 lb. snowshoes strapped to the pack when I didn't need them.
    When I got the Quest I first put my bear canister in to see if it fit and it did, nice and snugly in the bottom of the pack. Today I just filled tha canister with food and some basics and put it in the bottom again, put in my sleeping bag and pad, added clothes and cinched the collar shut. Then I filled up the outer pockets with extraneous items that fit well, eyeglasses, camera, cellphone, lighter, whistle, knife, you get the picture. The pack is certainly not full.
    It rode nicely on my back, and as it breaks in I suspect I'll do some adjusting. There was no side shift as I walked, shoed or just looked around in the woods. I did have some of that with my Mariposa, but the Quest felt extremely solid and comfortable. The straps are comfy and did not dig into my shoulders or waist. It was slick using the side compression straps to cinch on the snowshoes and when I wore the shoes I just cinched my pack tight.
    After only one trek, I am happy with the Quest and can't think of any feature I didn't like. I can't envision a problem attaining 45 lbs. in it this summer on my High Sierra trip.
    I bought the Large and it weighed 3 lbs. 3 ounces on my baby scale. The interior sleeve took my 3 liter platy(about 2 liters in it) just fine and the ports are sized to make it easy to pass the bite wing and clip through without difficulty.
    I hope this helps, but if anybody has questions I will answer them if I can.
    Jim

ben kohl

@benkohl

Sounds good Jim. Mine is in the mail. Will post soon.

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

What size bear canister were you using?

Jim Ells

@ellsfamily

I have the large size BearVault BV400, sorry, should have mentioned that. They do work. On a trip last August to Mt. Marcy in the Adirondacks, a bear got to some campers packs in the leanto next to us, but did not even pay attention to our three canisters about 50 feet from him as he passed by dragging a guys backpack! They didn't have any food in it, the bears just equate the packs with food.
    Jim

John Baird

@jbaird

Locale: Deleware Watergap A_T

I posted this in the editors round table but I think it belongs here.

In the discussion of harmful gas in our sleeping quarters due to our cookers, an interesting side has appeared; that of a range of large bears, wild dogs and small peskies. ( I might add that there is the two legged kind as well)
    So…because of the possible threats above,
    does any one carry Bear Spray? I do. It weighs in at 7.9 oz. with holster. Parranoia here? ‘cause I have to admit I’ve never needed it.
    Is this another thread perhaps?

I use UDAP Pepper Power
    Capsaicin and related capsaicinoids 2.0%
    Inert ingredients 98%
    UDAP industries, inc. Bozeman, MT

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools