Topic

Carbon fiber spoon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Carbon fiber spoon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I don't fetishize carbon fiber, but I have looking for an alternative to the disposable plastic spoons I usually carry.

http://web.media.mit.edu/~jkestner/spoon/

I think this kid is an engineering or materials science student at MIT. A method like this could be used to produce a pot lid, too, or a bowl (if you hike in a group and can't eat out of the pot).

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

It looks unsanitary with all those little pockets to trap food. Compared to a GSI Lexan spoon it is probably a costly item. A lid for just boiling water may make more sense.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

This would really only be a sensible project from a cost standpoint if you already had some epoxy and scraps of carbon fabric laying around from another project.

I don't think carbon fiber is necessarily unsanitary. A smooth, glassy surface is easy to achieve.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

I build carbon fiber lids here: http://rutalocura.com/Carbon_Lids.html

I think there are some better ways to build a spoon with pre-preg, it is something I have looked at doing. It should be much stronger than cheap plastic.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I wonder what kind of resin he used? Because most resin dipped in boiling water the spoon will become soft and bendable and may leach chemicals in to the water.
    Terry

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

There are plenty of epoxy resins that have heat distortion temperatures above 212F. In addition there are plenty of epoxy resins that are potable water approved according to ANSI/NSF Standard 61. All one would need to do is obtain an epoxy resin approved to Standard 61 for commercial hot water (176F). Not only would this resin not leach anything harmful in hot water but it would be rather unlikely that it would soften even in boiling water. Belzona 5891 is one such epoxy resin which would be suitable.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

It was surely epoxy, and it will not go limp in boiling water, nor will most "resins". Cant speak for what he used, but my materials and mold releases are food safe, and cleared for food service use by the USDA.

I cant believe no one has pointed out that the design is flawed……It is neither a foon or a spork.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

What's a "foon" Josh? Maybe that's exactly what it is? ;p

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools