Topic

Rappelling rope?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Rappelling rope?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Brian

> Makes a mess of the ropes I agree, but banned? Rediculous. Sounds more like a bunch
    > of power hungry zealots in charge of "safety".
    Sorry if I roll around on the floor in mirth. The idea of 'power hungry zealots' in some of our clubs is simply … hilarious.

Sometimes the ropes belong to the club, and sometimes they belong to a member. They cost money and have a finite life. The decision to ban figure-of-8s was made in order to protect the ropes, the owners of the ropes, and the novices.

When you are doing three consecutive abseils each of 30 m or so, each one through a waterfall and ending up in deep water (swimming), and you are mostly in the pitch dark because you are so deep into the cliffline, and the water is close to 5 C, you don't fool around. It's great fun, but people have died when they have got into trouble.

Sorry, but you are such a long, long way off the mark.

Cheers

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Here is one I googled. Don't know the seller and haven't used the rope.

It is a 9 mm 150 ft long and $80 shipped. Should be good for light scouts when going
    over the edge, as it is low stretch yet thin enough to run through the devices well.

"Edelweiss low stretch ropes are the perfect combination of price and quality. Edelweiss low stretch ropes differ from American static lines due to the fact that they are designed to take up to a factor one fall. These ropes WILL stretch a little to allow them to absorb a factor one fall. The lines are made completely from Polyamide (nylon), which gives them a high strength rating. These ropes are great for cavers, canyoneers, and climbers."

http://www.everestgear.com/443410.html?productid=443410&channelid=FROOG

Here is the same thing offered by Sears!
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6323462901P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6323462901

Jamie Estep

@jestep

Locale: ATX

I'll see if I can find a link online. The specific article I'm referring to was in a print Climbing or R&I, can't remember which one, that I had back in high school. It basically said even something like a 1 ft fall on static could cause spinal injuries.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

the issue on TRing on a static is that unless the belayer is VERY vigilant … which honestly some people, especially kids arent, any decent slack in the rope can cause hard fall as there is little stretch

the issue with TRing on a dynamic rope … is that rope stretch can be an issue on the first 10-15 feet of a climb … which is alleviated by having the belayer pretension the rope

each has its advantages and disadvantages …

most guides out here and gyms however use dynamic ropes …. and they are the ones with liability concerns should something go wrong … unlike random BPL posters ;)

the person i would be most afraid of is the guy online who keeps on insisting on using ONLY "static" or something like that for TRing … the first question i would ask is how much do ya climb outside and how many groups do ya take out …

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Some people have suggested but nobody has clearly stated, after all these posts:

YOU SHOULD NEVER CLIMB ON A STATIC ROPE!

Here are some links: http://www.camp4.com/rock/index.php?newsid=231
    http://www.southeastclimbing.com/faq/faq_fall_factor.htm

As in any discussion of best climbing practices there are widely varying opinions, held on a variety of bases which are more or less out of date.

It is widely accepted that climbing on a static rope is dangerous and can put fatal forces on the body or gear.

If you want to use the rope for both climbing and rappelling it should be dynamic. It sounds like your group's uses might warrant purchasing a burly, static, rappel rope and a dynamic climbing rope. Both should be in the 10-10.5mm range, although the rappel rope could be thinner if weight is a concern.

"Static ropes – traditionally used mostly in caving and rescue but now also used for sport rappelling and even in climbing gyms – are designed to minimize stretch ( cavers hate feeling like yo-yo's). So their ability to absorb shock is marginal, particularly along short lengths of rope. What's more, static ropes aren't as well defined by industry codes as dynamic ropes, so they vary in elasticity according to the manufacturer and the country of origin. They're often about as non-dynamic as a cable, and transmit virtually all the shock load to the safety system and the body. And in a climbing situation, a very short fall can develop enough force to be critical."

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Those are good articles. Perhaps since there seems to be confusion even on this thread,
    NEVER climbing on a static rope is the best rule of thumb.

The articles do point out tho that static ropes can and are used in gyms and thoughtfully
    on some top rope climbs. A long slingshot toprope belay is where I find them useful.

http://climbing.about.com/od/cliimbingtechniques/a/Sling-Shot-Belay.htm

"A static rope may be used (cautiously) in a top rope system or a gym where falls are measured only in inches, but not in the system used for lead climbing."

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Oops! I wasn't meaning to start any holy wars! I was kind of surprised when I remembered to check this. I ended up buying a 9mm Sterling HTP static, a 10.5mm Bluewater Gym Rope (static), and a 10.2 Sterling Evolution Kosmos. Used the static ropes for rappelling only, although I used the gym rope for TR when I could belay. Mostly used the dynamic for TR. Everyone had fun, got to feel a little adreneline, and go past some places they didn't think they could.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools