Topic

Easy, pretty overnighters near Bend, Oregon (USA)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Easy, pretty overnighters near Bend, Oregon (USA)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

This will be for any folk who live hereabouts.

We moved to Bend in 2008, but I have not had much of a chance to explore the mountains and lakes due to being overweight and dealing with a replaced left knee (UL titanium — yay!) and an arthritic right ankle.

The latter blew out in 2009 and got an ankle fusion. Then I dropped 55 lbs (and am keeping it off).

So last summer I broke out the old backpacking gear — UL for circa 2003 — and did a couple overnighters at Lancelot Lake.

It was fun. I had a great time.

See here http://socal2bend.blogspot.com/2011_09_01_archive.html and here: http://socal2bend.blogspot.com/2011/10/overnight-backpack-trip-to-lancelot.html (I hope the forum lets me post links.)

I am inspired. More, MORE!

The fused ankle keeps me from getting too ambitious about 15-mile days, but I don't mind. Three to seven mile loops or in-and-outs to pretty sites for overnighting are just fine with me.

Anyone got any suggestions for sweet little trips like that 'round here?

Casey Balza

@equals

A really awesome trail that I did probably 4 times last years was the trail to Paulina Lake. It is outside La Pine a few miles.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72DTgBAjAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEHcDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAObEnGA!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=&cid=fsbdev3_035878&navid=100000000000000&pnavid=&ss=110601&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Deschutes

The trail to Paulina Lake is 10 miles one way, it is really nice in the summer time. You will pass a few small but decent waterfalls and one really big one at the end. Plus you can hike all over the place up there, lots of areas to go.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Green Lakes Basin.

Its up in between South Sister and Broken Top.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I was up in that area just before Labor Day last summer, doing a o/n trip with Jim from another forum. We stayed on a very windy ridge up in the area I guess where Barry mentioned, at least the Sisters part. Pretty drive back in there too. Very Alpiney.
    Duane

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You definitely want to get two guidebooks by William O. Sullivan: "100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades" and "100 Hikes/Travel Guide: Eastern Oregon." Bend is pretty much the boundary line between the two, so you'll find mountain hikes in the first and high desert hikes in the second. While these are in dayhike form, many are backpackable. I'm also limited by physical issues to 5-7 mile days, so I use Sullivan's books as much for backpacks as for dayhikes. I'm sure they are available in local book or outdoor shops; if not, there's always amazon.com.

Your part of Oregon is especially attractive to us "wet-siders" at this time of year. For early trips (like this month), the Metolius River Trail is a popular choice. You can also drive north to the mouth of the Deschutes River and backpack upstream. Plus there are lots of fascinating places in the high desert (found in the Eastern Oregon book).

Hopefully Jerry (retiredjerry) will come in here; he's been to that area more than I have. Also, you might want to browse the trip reports on http://www.portlandhikers.org for those from your area.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Thanks, guys. The Green Lakes Basin hike looks very nice. I'm told that in summer it's a tourist highway! Still, we have a few wilderness areas right in my backyard and the more I explore them, the more places I'll add to my list of swell places to camp.

Paulina Lakes — never been up there, would need to consider elevation gain/loss — loss, mainly — as that can hammer the poor foot under my fused ankle; if the ankle doesn't bend the foot has to take up the brunt of the action and it gets tender.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Mary D: Thank you for recommending those books, Amazon has 'em listed for cheap!

"You can also drive north to the mouth of the Deschutes River and backpack upstream."

Tell me more?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, Metolius River is nice, especially early in the season when it's snowy higher up. Same with Deschutes River.

Green Lakes is pretty busy in summer. Or Pole Creek trailhead up to Camp Lake. A lot of elevation gain.

McKenzie Pass south on the PCT is nice and not so much elevation gain. I've camped at North Mathieu Lake before but it's pretty busy in the summer.

Like Mary said – Sullivan is probably the best guide. Look at portlandhikers.org – Portland based but a bunch of East side info.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You can also drive north to the mouth of the Deschutes River and backpack upstream."

Tell me more?

Look at the field guide at portlandhikers.org

Fairly complete description

Also there are many trip reports for that area at this time of the year especially

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools