Topic

Osprey packs back mesh durability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Osprey packs back mesh durability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've been reading here that Ospey's mesh back panel will easily wear at points where it contacts the metal frame.

I am thinking of getting the EXOS 58 but would like some feedback on the mesh wear problem. My solution would be to put some Shoe Goo at the wear points IF I knew where they were located. Does the wear occur at the outside or from both sides?

Right now I'm using a 5 year old REI Cruise UL 60 with REI side pockets added.

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

Look at the frame of an exos, look down towards the bottom where it bends back, right there they put mesh over the frame…instead of using a durable fabric. Every Exos I have ever seen, that has over 500 miles, has wore that mesh out. Main problem with the mesh wearing is that the frame will dig into your kidneys afterwords. In my opinion Goop will not fix it, however, sewing on some fabric might(?)….

EDIT: Whoops forgot to mention that I'm referring to the exos 58, which tends to get overloaded by people due to its capacity. I see many exos packs with 35-50lbs used for thru-hiking.

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

FWIW, Osprey Exos 34L size large. 26 lbs starting pack weight with 5.5 days food and 1L water. Estimate 500 – 550 miles on this pack. Minimal thread fray on mesh panel and no concerns.
    Paul

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I take it from these comments that the mesh fraying begins on the outside.

Perhaps a belt-and-suspenders fix or fabric sewn over Shoo Goo on the mesh would do it.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I've used my 58L pack for several hundred miles, sometimes carrying a fairly large amount of water and a bear can. No fraying noted on the mesh panel.

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

The whole fraying issue doesn't occur along the actual panel….it is towards the bottom of the pack…near your hips where the frame curves out. The mesh wears where it is stretched over the frame. Seen it a ton of times. I really do like those packs though.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

@ Kenny. You're right. I checked my pack in the area you mentioned, and there is some fraying there.

But I really do like my pack. And unless I can find something that does the job as well as it does (and is light weight, too), I'll buy another one. When you divide the cost of the pack by the number of miles hiked, it's a pretty good value.

Scott Simcox
    Spectator

@simco

Locale: Nashville

Exos 46.
    600~ miles.
    10 – 20lb weights.

No problems.

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

@Diana:
    I really do like the Exos, despite the whole center of balance argument, I think it is one of the best non-cottage gear packs. Carries like a champ…I'm sure there is a way to just patch over that….

@Scott
    :
    With those weights I would only expect normal pack wear. Rock on.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

The mesh might wear (have not experienced that on several different Osprey packs) but I have ripped a few of them. Osprey has a great warranty- they repair, for free any pack they have ever made regardless of age. For that reason I would not personally worry about any pack having wear. All of the repairs I've needed have been as a result of my own carelessness. They fix them anyway- for free. I think I had to pay shipping to Colorado, but that was it. I had them back within two weeks.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I just ran downstairs to take a look at mine…

Exos 58
    600 – 700 miles
    15 – 25 lbs.

I don't see a single flaw in the back mesh where it meets the frame.

Great pack!

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

I think the amount of weight carried is the main thing…keeping it under 30/35lbs is key to the longevity of the pack.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Don't forget that Osprey should repair it either free of charge of for very little–that whole All Mighty Guarantee.

From the Osprey website:

Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it. We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/all_mighty_guarantee

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

How wonderful for all of you who have had no problems with this!

I had it happen on both an Exos 58 and a 46. Both of them had the mesh pulling apart near a seam where mesh and frame met, at about the kidney level. Both occurred with little use and 25-30 loads.

These were early production packs; I heard of several others with this problem back then (saw one other). Hopefully they have fixed it. Given the above posters, it looks like they might have. A search of old posts here at BPL will find some of those early problems.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful, sepecially the garantee info. Just like Gregory's garantee, which I've experienced. I plan to carry no more than 32 pounds with 7 days' food and 3 liters of water max. And that would only be the "first day weight".

I'll be adding REI side pockets just for the convienance of getting to my 1st aid kit, potty kit, Steripen, toilet kit, etc., not for carrying extra weight.

I think I'll add the Shoe Goo and see how it works.

BTW, I REALLY wish they would put a "cut-out" belt on it like teh Aether series has. Maye I'll do my own cut-out/mesh window on the EXOS. My shoe repair shop does wonders with my custom requests.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools