Topic

Rocky Mountain GGG?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Rocky Mountain GGG?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I'll already be in Colorado that weekend. I might me able to join for a night or two it it ends up being somewhat close to where I'll be.

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

Moab in August is not a good idea…

August 24-26 works for me.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I wish those dates worked for me. Unfortunately, that is the first week of school. Something in early October would be best for me. Maybe GGG #2…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Just as it will be impossible to find a date which works for everyone, so too will one location always be problematic. Doing state or regional gatherings would be more practical.

In any case I'd be interested, though I agree with the above, it would need to be a proper backpacking trip. And thus not so huge.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I'm in. From Colorado. I agree with Justin: not Moab in August. The Winds is a long drive and I'm going a few weeks after that so I'd probably pass on that. Most anywhere else works for me.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

I would be very interested in attending. I'm located in SW Colorado – Cortez. Southern San Juans have a lot of wild areas.

There are also some lesser known areas in the region….Abajo Peak and the surrounding Monti-La Sal Southern Unit in Utah. Lone Cone Peak and the surrounding National Forest….options are endless in this area.

Basically though, I'm down to meet some BPLers and can probably meet anywhere that is not in the front range…too far…then again closer than a location in Wyoming or Montana.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I'm not a local, but I'd try to come, and piggyback my annual week-long trip either before or after it. I'd just need a ride to/from whatever airport is nearby.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen. From PM's I've gotten and people posting in the thread, the majority are from the front range area. It wouldn't seem fair to make the majority have to travel to meet the needs of one person here, one person there, and one person there because those people aren't willing to travel. Not trying to be rude, just practical. And considering I'm kinda sorta really trying to figure all of this out, it would make sense to have it somewhere within 3-4 hours so I can scout the area and/or figure out a place that's really amazing so the people who do travel don't go home saying it wasn't worth it. As Dave said, there's no way I'll be able to figure out a date and place that's going to suit everyone.

So here's my plan: by the end of next week I will have a set location and exact dates. I'm going to plan it as a loop style backpacking trip. That way we don't have to deal with car shuttles, reserving a group campsite, and all that other stuff. It will most likely be in a wilderness area.

Stay tuned.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Any wilderness area is gonna be great. Thanks for planning this.

Rich S

@rich-s

I had to first figure out what GGG meant. Sounds like an awesome idea.

I will gladly help out with planning this.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

I also live in the Front Range of Colorado in Lyons, and would be game for a meetup like this.

Where would I go?

-Maroon Bells
    -Gore Range (never been here)
    -Mummy Range Traverse in RMNP
    -Sangre de Christos

I would probably avoid the Collegiate Peaks like the plague since EVERYONE wants to hang out there, and the mountains aren't nearly as interesting as the other ranges mentioned above.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

First of all, I don't know what a GGG is but it sounds fun. I would not be able to travel to Colorado but if one ever happens within 5-6 hours of SLC I'm in. Now someone explain to me what a GGG is.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I think it's a Gathering of Gear Geeks (that would certainly be us).

Edit–wow, you are quick, Ms. Anna "Link" O'Leary. I've decided to give you that new nickname, because you are the best ever at referencing the archives…

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Last I read, P.Larson was going to figure out a potential location and date. Perhaps he is still trying to figure one out or got sidetracked. I'm located in SW Colorado, but am willing to travel.

I'm also willing to organize this if P.Larson doesn't want to.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Is anyone still interested in this?

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

I'm still interested.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Depending on the date and location I may try to build my vacation around this event so I am a maybe. If the group gets very big this may cause problems as some areas have group size restrictions and we do need to keep LNT principles in mind. As I say all this Im not to sure how I feel about a group trip with lots of people so I guess I will wait for more details on where when and group size

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I am still interested as well. P. Larson struck the match but I haven't heard much from him.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

If the group size is not too big, I think a long loop into a wilderness area would be ideal. Depending on location, in Colorado I know of some good loops in the Weminuche, Indian Peaks, or West Elk. (SW, Front Range, or Central). I guess we need to decide which area is easiest for the most amount of people.

Perhaps people could start replying with their interest and which location would work best. Obviously, no location or date will work for everyone, but we can see what works for the most.

I'm in SW Colorado.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools