Topic

Mountain Hardwear Speed 32 mini-review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mountain Hardwear Speed 32 mini-review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I've been searching for a lighter sleeping bag, (not a quilt). This is an FYI on the MH Speed 32.
    On paper the Mountain Hardwear Speed 32 looked good so I ordered one.
    16oz, 32F mfg rating, 4" 850 fill.
    Initial impression when pulling it out of the box was favorable. Nice light feel. Seemed like quality construction. Looked like a very slim fit.
    I crawled into the bag on my floor at home to try the bag, zipped it part way and the zipper stuck. Fortunately it was only zipped about to shoulder level and I was able to wriggle out of the bag. The webbing on the inside of the zipper is about 1/2" long on each side of the zipper and actually overlaps. It is this webbing that jammed, not the pertex shell material. Had it been the pertex I could have just pulled the material from the coil zipper.
    Long story short I played with the zipper on and off for 24hrs before deciding there is just no way I can be confident in the zipper working. As I tested it the zipper would jam in the webbing repeatedly and it was very difficult to free the zipper, practically impossible from within the bag.
    So, that bag was returned.
    Be aware of this potential issue if you are considering this bag.

Does anyone know if Montbell has permanently retired the UL SS down hugger #4?

Casey Greene

@caseygreene

Locale: upper rattlesnake
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools