Topic

CT help in May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning CT help in May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Hi all,

Pretty quickly after finals are over with, around May 10, and buddy and I are going to Colorado to do part of the CT. We will be on trail for around seven days and I have never done any of it. I was wondering if I could get some advice as to what sections would be good to do for that time of year and what I can expect to encounter.

thanks,
    Clint

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

For this year, you could expect some snow but dont be expecting a lot. What kind of conditions are you looking for?
    Do you mind hiking in the snow?
    Also what kind of mileage are you planning on doing?

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Im looking to do anywhere from 70-100 miles it kind of depends on the group and I dont really mind hiking in some snow but I def. dont want to be post holing that much. Im really just looking for a solid week or more time on the trail before classes start for the summer (I know lame) and I don't really have the gear to get below the 20 degrees

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

If you are aiming for the first 70 miles, you should be OK up until Kenosha Pass. Kenosha Pass makes a logical bail-out point.

From Waterton Canyon to Kenosha is all below 10k ft IIRC. There may be spots of snow here and there, but the whole area (other than the Lost Creek Wilderness) is popular with MTBers.

With lower snow year in the Front Range, this area should be OK. All bets are off if we get a spring snow dump in the next month.

As an aside, the first 70 miles of the CT are nice, but nothing too dramatic in my opinion.

Utah, if starting to get warm in early May, may be more dramatic in early May vs the first 70 miles of the CT. YMMV.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

do you think Kenosha is off limits pretty much until June?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

After KEnosha, you hit Georgia Pass at 11500', the Ten Mile range and the Leadville area.

Basically, the 'real' CO high country.

Not that you can't do it…but it may be not be fun. Rotten snow (hard crust, sugar underneath), trail navigation could be interesting and slow going even in a lower snow year like this.

Just my opinion anyway.

If you make it to Copper, it is an easy bail as the free bus will take you to Frisco. From there, you can take transportation (bus or train) back to Denver and ultimately to the airport.

Clint Lum

@clintlum91

Thanks for the info. If I bail at Kenosha do you think I will be able to get back to Denver somehow? And if I am only going from the trail head to Kenosha do you think the data book will be sufficient for planning?

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Take maps!

The CT is well marked (overall), but I strongly suggest you take maps.

If you are not doing any resupply, the Databook should be fine for planning purposes.

To get back to Denver via Kenosha Pass is a longer hitch, but doable as anyone going that way is heading back to at least Pine Jct (a small 'town' right on 285) where you can pick up the RTD bus that goes right to Denver:
    http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?routeType=5&routeId=CV

Note that this bus runs weekdays only.

There is an OK bar and grill across from the bus stop so grab a beer and burger if you have to kill time. :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools