Topic

JMT NOB from Sphinx

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

Didn't win the lottery. Has anyone hit the JMT from Sphinx creek? Adds 30mi. I don't see a separate permit availability for Colby Pass from Road's end. Am I stuck with the Bubb's Creek limits?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Has anyone hit the JMT from Sphinx creek?"

That sounds painful and convoluted. You're going to climb over Avalanche Pass, then Colby Pass, then down and up and around.

There must be a dozen ways to get to the JMT. Kearsarge Pass? Baxter? Taboose?

Up Copper Creek, over the Monarch Divide, down to the Middle Fork of the Kings, then up to the JMT.

–B.G.–

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

I want to head up Mt. Whitney then head North. Thought it would be cool to see whaleback on the way. Never been bothered by too many passes. We don't do this because it's a walk in the park… :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"There must be a dozen ways to get to the JMT. Kearsarge Pass? Baxter? Taboose?"

Use Either Cottonwood or New Army Pass, then go either cross country from Upper Crabtree Lake to start at Trailcrest(or hike to summit and retrace steps for the full distance), or continue on down the Crabtree Lakes chain and circle around to pick up the JMT from Crabtree RS. That would give you almost the whole JMT at the very least, or the full JMT if you take the cross country option. I think you'd need a Whitney Zone stamp on your permit, though. Not sure, but worth checking out.

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

"Use Either Cottonwood or New Army Pass, then go either cross country from Upper Crabtree Lake to start at Trailcrest(or hike to summit and retrace steps for the full distance), or continue on down the Crabtree Lakes chain and circle around to pick up the JMT from Crabtree RS"

Lot of talus from Upper Crabtree. I suppose I should get better at cross country, I just end up very slow. The trail route looks straight forward.

My choice will depend on logistics with my ride. Cedar Grove is an old favorite although I must say the insanity at night when the bears show up takes my esteem for humanity down about 5 notches.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Lot of talus from Upper Crabtree. I suppose I should get better at cross country, I just end up very slow. The trail route looks straight forward."

No talus, just a long scree slope. Lots of work, but no talus hopping.

The trail route around via Crabtree RS is indeed straightforward and easy, but longer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools