Topic

National Geographic TOPO! Software

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning National Geographic TOPO! Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

I have an older version of the California maps that I recently starting using again and am wondering a couple things.

– Is it possible to create the entire route for a trip, then break it up into individual days so that each day is a different color or do you need to create each day separately? I was hoping to create the full overview with the elevation profile for the entire trip, then break it up so the days were color coded and I can have a separate elevation profile for each day. I noticed that I was able to split a route into 2, but it wouldn't let me split those 2 any further.

– Is there a way to just export the images of the elevation profile without the map itself? I'm sure I can figure out a way to get just the elevation profile by using some other image editing software, but wondering if I can do it directly in the topo software without needing any additional steps.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes. You can create an entire route for a trip and then save that with one filename. Then you can save it again with a different filename. For one of them, you can "break" one route using the right-click tool "Split Route Here." Now you have separate route segments, and they can be color coded or dealt with independently.

You can export any map to an image editing program like Photoshop. When the map is exported, the elevation profile will go with it if that feature is enabled.

I use old version 2.7.7

–B.G.–

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Thanks, Bob. I did notice the right-click tool "Split Route Here" feature, but after splitting the full route in 2, it wouldn't let me split those 2 routes. I'll have to try again when I get home. It's entirely possible I did something wrong.

Edit: Yep, I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time, but it worked just fine when I tried again.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

you should be able to continue to split the route over and over again. Try clicking out of the route, then go back to it, and it should let you do it again. At worst, just add a short bit, then erase, or otherwise mess with it, and then you should be able to split it again. Using the save as will protect one complete route, then go and cut till you get what you need….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools