Topic

bunchberry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I was reading about bunchberries. Anyone eat them? Comments on flavor? other uses like bunchberry brandy?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi Tim,
    I'll eat them on my Alaska trips in August when the berries are plentiful. The taste is pretty bland, so I usually mix them with blueberries and salmon berries, kind of as a filler. Hard to recommend them by themselves.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

They have a gianormous pit and not much fruit (provided I am talking about the same bunchberry that is native to the more northerly regions of my province).

bunchberries

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Looks similar to the Alaskan variety. The berries are edible in their entirety. I've never bothered to pick out seeds. They are kind of mealy, but not bad.

edit- disclaimer: I haven't tried any in Ontario.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

The latest copy of North Star had a detailed article. Nice to hear some facts.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools