Topic

High Uintas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports High Uintas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi everyone, I'm pondering doing a trip to the Uintas in August. Does anyone know of any loop trips in the Uintas? I'll be solo, so a point to point like the Highline is out.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Paul-

There are plenty of loops in the Uintas to be had. First thing to determine is what 'slope' you want to head in on…S slope (UT) or N slope (WY). There are high road passes on the E and W ends, so that is option as well, but leads to more backtracking to close your loop.

What is your timeframe or planned mileage to cover? A lot of the approach trails to the high country are really mellow grades…then POW!…climb to a saddle via a steep pass. Water is plentiful.

Trails Illustrated High Uintas Map is really good. Updated just last year I believe and the info is accurate.

Brian

Paul Luther
    BPL Member

@eredluin

Locale: Northeast

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply. I ordered the Trails Illustrated map for the Uintas, but it's not here yet.

My tentative,maybe wishful,itinerary:
    Following the Highline entering at Chepeta Lake to Anderson Pass, Porcupine Pass, Cleveland Pass over Dead Horse Pass, over Red Knob Pass, and backtracking to Chepeta Lake.

Timeframe:
    In August 2007 during a ten day vacation.

I havn't computed the mileage and elevation gain/loss yet. I have the Probst guide, but I find it difficult to compute mileage from their figures. Maybe I'm not reading the tables properly. All those passes don't intimidate me. I did a long loop in Glacier Park last August. The loop contained Stoney Indian, Red Gap, and Swiftcurrent Passes. A beautiful loop done in 4.5 days.

What are your thoughts on the above itinerary.
    Paul

Brian Frankle

@bdf37

Paul-

I think your idea is fine. I might suggest the following instead though so you do not have to backtrack…

1)Park at the Moon Lake TH.

2)Follow the Duck Creek trail up to East Basin Pass and then Cleveland Pass.

3)From Cleveland Pass head into Squaw Basin, and then swing N to Dead Horse Pass.

4)Dead Horse to Red Knob, Procupine, Anderson Pass.

5)From Painters Basin (below Anderson pass) head towards Lake Atwood. At Trail Rider Pass, jump over the ridge and drop into Upper Carroll Lake/Lower Carrol Lake Basin. This part is cross-country.

6)Head W to Bluebell Pass and drop into Yellowstone Creek.

7)Leave Yellowstone and go up Garfield Creek to Five Point Lake.

8)Head S back to Moon Lake.

The only mileage I have noted on my map relates to the Highline…Deadhorse to Painters Basin is ~27 miles. I'd guess the route is ~70-80 miles.

This alternative to your route gives you more options if the weather is poor, but still gets you into the alpine zone, mixes it up with some XC terrain, and gets you into more terrain variety.

Have fun!

Brian

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools