Topic

SUL and cheap rain mitt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

Saw these today. Look perfect for a cheap and SUL rain mitt. Could use these in conjunction with a rubber band around the wrist to lock out rain. Add in fleece liners for warmth.

Only issue is they have to be purchased in a case of 1,000!

Anyone seen these elsewhere in smaller quantities?

http://www.cstore1.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=29&DEPARTMENT_ID=69

SUL "Diesel Gas Mitt"

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I once saw a guy riding his bike with dishwashing gloves on. Looked odd, but I bet it works great.

Your idea is interesting but not so good on the sustainability side. Great CYA backup.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

"Only issue is they have to be purchased in a case of 1,000!

Anyone seen these elsewhere in smaller quantities?"

Yes, the gas/diesel pump. Just help yourself to a pair next time you fill up. Consider it your bonus for supporting the oil companies.

Not all pumps have these but I have seen and used them before.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Another idea while it's on my mind: One could purchase a pair of ~$15 Tyvek hooded coveralls, make a rain/wind jacket out of the top and a pair of mitts from the left over bottoms.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Here are some Salon mitts. I'm not sure on the durability though.

https://www.theindustrysource.com/content/opi-expert-touch-salon-mitts-100-ct

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I've used those as well as the dish washing gloves. Both work but I eventually went for something else (silnylon mitts). The thin plastic ones are too flimsy, and they tend to ride up. The dish washing ones don't have those problems but they're a royal pain to put on and take off, particularly with wet hands.

The vapor barrier glove/mitt is a great idea, hands don't sweat much if its cold (if it's not, just let them get wet). I now use some badly designed silnylon mitts I made myself that can be worn on their own or over an insulating layer. Much better in every aspect.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

MYOG tyvek mitts, dirt cheap, less than 1 ounce.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

At the gear shop near me they have these little "kits" that are free. They are supposed to show how good goretex is.

Anyways, inside one of them is a gortex mit, as soon as I go grab another one I will be using it as a rain glove. I might need a little work on them.

Best of all? Free!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools