Topic

Camera GPS display

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Camera GPS display

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I searched around and can't find info about this on BPL…

Do any of the new gee-whiz cameras that have built-in GPS actually display your grid for you? (For instance, the Nikon Cool pix AW100, Panasonic Tough series, or Pentax Optio series.) Or do you just have to use their (horrible) built-in map? I've been trying to research this and it looks like all that they can do is embed location info into the pictures.

It would surebe nice to find one that would just display a simple lat/long or grid…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I think that this is as good as it gets in a camera :
    Pana ts4 GPS
    Pana TS4 display.
    Franco

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I've been waiting for something like this too. I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably just end up with something like the Nokia 808 Pureview.

Will Webster

@willweb

I need a waterproof/dustproof camera for an upcoming trip, so I recently bought a Lumix TS3. The GPS takes forever to lock in unless you keep it on all the time, in which case it eats the battery in less than a day; not really a backpacking option. I wouldn't buy one for the GPS.

EDIT: But to answer the question, the TS3 can display lat/lon/elevation on the screen once it's found the satellites.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

No, I'm going to "use it as a GPS" per se. I mostly navigate by terrain association or map and compass. But if I do want to verify my position once in a blue moon it might be handy. I always want a camera, and if it can be a backup GPS too, well, that's one less thing to carry. Plus I'm more likely to actually bring it, so I'll have it if I need it. (I usually just leave the GPS at home.)

But, nice- the TS4 seems to be what I'm looking for. And it is water- and dust-proof to boot.

Will Webster

@willweb

In that case you might like it.

The other issue is: It's probably the best waterproof out there (according to the reviews I've read), but as a camera it's pretty mediocre. Compared to my S95 it has a smaller sensor, no RAW capture, and a poor interface. Compared to most small-sensor P&Ss its size it has a tiny zoom range.

The changes between the TS3 and TS4 appear pretty minor, except for the price.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools