Topic

Pitching a tarp in the wind…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pitching a tarp in the wind…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cody Croslow

@graelb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi all,

How do most of you deal with high-ish winds that like to change direction? I tried setting up my cat-tarp 2.5 in the front yard this morning, and ran into the problem of wind. I pitched the foot of the tarp into the wind, and used 8 guy points, (the tarp has a total of 5 per side, plus the two for the ridgeline, but I just have the middle ones on the sides guyed out, and the corners.) And the biggest problem I run into is that the wind pushes the tarp down towards the ground along the ridgeline, creating very little room inside if pitched in storm mode about 3 inches from the ground.

I can't imagine staking the back directly to the ground, as there would be next to no room inside at all!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If you're using trekking poles, take your second pole and put it under the ridgeline near the foot end.

Cody Croslow

@graelb

I'm sorry, I should have specified, I'm using two trekking poles, just pushed through the guy out points, and then tied to a stake from there. the back pole was as low as it'll go, and the front one was about half again as tall…

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

i have this problem when tarping on ridgetops. i use a 8×10 tarp with grommets, and stake the corners of an A frame to the ground. then i thread a cord thru the 3 available grommets per side, and loop each to a stake about 6 inches from the middle of the side. this makes the tarp very taut. then, i use a smaller tarp connected to both corners of an opening, pull the middle up and over the ridge line, and clip it to make a triangle. this method is the only thing i've found that works… when i tried other tarp configurations, it flaps too much. but, maybe someone else will have better advice.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Use rocks on the guy lines you aren't working with until you can get things under control, going at it one line at a time and then tweaking for a good taut pitch. It can be as much fun with a tent, giving new meaning to "fly."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools