Topic

My Stove Comparison

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My Stove Comparison

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ben Whitsett

@benwhitsett

I always wondered how my stoves would compare in a side by side comparison. Then I after I got into it I started to think how the weights plus fuel compared in terms of number of "boils." To keep it simple I tested with 2 cups or 16oz of water. I also used refrigerated water to try and simulate cool mountain water. Have a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/forums/gear_lists/04933f17438b094a60d73a5c2025512a.pdf

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

If you subscribe to BPL (all of $25/yr), you will find an absolute feast of such stove comparisons.

Cheers

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Welcome aboard. You may be getting the alcy stove addiction.
    Very nice comparisons. I’m not sure why you put 2 ‘Total Weight’ columns.
    That’s an interesting way to look at it.
    Take ‘Total Weight’ and divide by ‘Max Boils’ and you get how much a person has to carry for each boil.
    For example the White Box gives you 13 g / boil and the SP LiteMax gives 20 g/boil from your data.

This is on par with what I have found w/ good alcy stoves: up to about 10 man-days (2 meals/day) the alcy system will be lighter than the butane system— if considering average weight/day. This is assuming canister is 3x more efficient than alcy (very conservative). But if the canister is 2x more efficient than alcy, then the alcy setup will always be the lightest.

Butane has more BTU than alcy, but the system as a whole (stove, fuel, container(s)) makes alcy lighter.

-Barry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools