Topic

XTherm @ REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) XTherm @ REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Rumors of the R5.7 NeoAir XTherm have been swirling for a while, and it looks like they're finally coming out next week. It's supposed to be 15oz for a regular size. Of course at that weight there's questions of durability (supposedly the XLite has had issues). Anyways, many folks, myself included, were interested in buying from REI so that you could use coupons and have the discount. I just spoke with REI and stores should start seeing them in the next week or so, but you can order by phone right now and it'll ship on Monday. The item number is 829850 – if you search it out on REI.com you'll see the image and title but no other deets. The size regular will be $189.95.

Has anyone had more experience with the XLite yet? I think these pads are the same outer material.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, I just called REI to order one. They said that they were not able to back order it yet, so I would have to wait until it appears online (which should be any day according to the fellow I spoke with).

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Bummer! Sorry man, online customer service said it could be done. Dangit

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Well, it's not as though I need it yet – it's good news that it should be available before the 20% coupon runs out.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So why are folks choosing the XTherm over the Exped Downmat UL? Just curious.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

Looks like the Downmat UL will weigh 5oz. (33%!) more. I really like my UL Synmat (which weighs less than what the Downmat UL will weigh), so I think I'll wait until reviews come out for the X-Therm before making any change.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wonder how much of that 5oz difference between the XTherm and the Downmat UL is because of the shape. The long tubes and rectangular shape of the DM UL seem worth that weight.

Aside: how come these pads are so EXPENSIVE now? I understand the technical advances, but the prices are really creeping up.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

To answer Doug, my reasons are for the weight, the 60"option, and according to manufacturer, ability to inflate by blowing it up (no pump).

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

If you can wait,next 20% REI coupon is May, it was said in another thread.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60581&startat=80

"There will be another coupon in May if you miss this one."

In my opinion, if you can wait, you should, its a relatively new product. I am interested in one for next winter and can wait 6 months. I got a Neoair Small earlier this year for use in the warmer months in a sale, cheaper as the Xlite came out.

I also am interested in getting from REI as its an easier swap if it fails. Pity only 20% discount, by time adding salestax in CA its only 10% discount which usually can be beaten online, but a flimsy thin like an Xtherm is one item I prefer REI's return policy.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

"To answer Doug, my reasons are for the weight, the 60"option, and according to manufacturer, ability to inflate by blowing it up (no pump)."

What using lungs? That will increase moisture inside and lower its insulation, and eventually increase mold and so deteriorate the item. If its like the All Seasons I bought the supplied stuffsac is a kind of pump and is preferred to lungs.

"Aside: how come these pads are so EXPENSIVE now? I understand the technical advances, but the prices are really creeping up."

I agree, but you can see why, its all the new products at a fast pace, we're all paying that in the individual units. You then observe reviews showing a fair % of warranty replacements. Plus the market if its willing to pay will help keep the prices high. Remember all the raves about the Neoair and yet its cheaper in sales now but the interest in the Xlite, the All Seasons is sturdier than the Xtherm and no taper which makes it a better cold-mat if you bag foot slips off the mat, but the higher R value of Xtherm is getting all the interest. If you want it lower cost, wait….

I bought my All Seasons in USA and used it for a trip and then sold it in UK for what I paid for it, UK pays more for most things.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

>>"What using lungs? That will increase moisture inside and lower its insulation, and eventually increase mold and so deteriorate the item. If its like the All Seasons I bought the supplied stuffsac is a kind of pump and is preferred to lungs."

This is what I used to think as well, however, the Cascade Designs FAQ refutes this, especially for NeoAirs.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

The FAQ touches on 2 of the 3 points I made.
    They don't touch on the fact the more humid the air inside, the more the air conducts. Air is part of the insulation.

The Xlite translucence allowed me to see it, it condenses and was a small puddle. Worthwhile before deflating to get the valve at the lowest point and deflate away from the shelter so that puddle runs out.

If anyone is itching to spent their 20% discount at REI now, before the Xtherm, and if anyone has not owned one of these thicker air mattresses (Neoair onwards, after the Prolite range) then its worth ensuring you own a sit-mat. You might own a sitmat anyway, but if not, the issue is when laid down the ideal amount of firmness is far from fully inflated as its too hard, but if you sit up then your bum hits cold hard ground. This more of an issue than with the Prolites. So for breakfast type sitting in your shelter, I place a sitmat where I sit under/over the Neoair. The evening before I'll fully inflate the mat, sit on it, and then lay down and let a little air out at a time til required softness, by which time the air inside the mat has already equalized with the ground so I didn't find the need to top-up air in the night. Lightest is a CCF folding mat, warmer but heavier example sit mat is the Thermarest Liteseat, not cheap, $30+tax-20%.

All my shelters the last few years have been so narrow I can't easily inflate my mat once inside the shelter.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I was told by a phone rep at REI that the next coupon will be May 18, just in case the XTherm doesn't make it by this one.

Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

Anybody spot the X-Therm at an REI store yet?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Not spotted at a store and not delivered yet, but REI did take my order for one yesterday

Alex Gilman
    BPL Member

@vertigo

Locale: Washington

Did they give you a delivery date and did the 20% off apply?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"Did they give you a delivery date and did the 20% off apply?"

They gave me an approx delivery estimate of one week following the expected arrival to the warehouse on April 23rd. This is just an estimate, as the arrival to their warehouse might change.

Yes the 20% did apply, bringing the price of the regular to something like $151. My dividend of something like $19 was then deducted from that. Shipping was free, but I had to pay sales tax.

Below is a copy of my online chat conversation which may help answer some people's questions. Towards the end of this chat, Brenda and I spoke over the phone where I placed my order and she verbally communicated an order number and then followed up with the order number in the online chat for my reference. I deleted my phone # and order # for privacy purposes.

You have been connected to Brenda M.
    Brenda M: Hi Nate! Please wait a moment while I check on your question.
    Brenda M: Do you have the item number?
    Nate: no, i don't
    Brenda M: I'm checking for you. Just one moment.
    Nate: thanks
    Brenda M: Which length do you want?
    Nate: the regular
    Brenda M: The Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm Sleeping Pad has an estimated arrival date to our warehouse of April 23, 2012. Please keep in mind that this is an estimated time frame and is subject to change. Once the item is received and processed, then orders will be filled. If you've place the item on backorder, you can expect to receive the order approximately one week later. If you've included an e-mail address in your order, when the item is shipped, we will send a message to the e-mail address listed in the order.
    Brenda M: The item number is 8298500002.
    Nate: Thanks Brenda. Can I place it on backorder and use my membership discount and dividend towards the price?
    Brenda M: Yes, as long as you place the order before April 15, 2012, you can use the coupon. You can always use your dividend as well.
    Brenda M: The coupon discounts the item, the dividend pays for the order.
    Nate: Is there a way to place that order with your or online, or will I have to call. I put the item number in online but can't select to purchase
    Brenda M: Let me check that. Just a moment.
    Brenda M: You're not going to be able to place the order online until later this month. It may be after the coupon has expired. I can't take your order over live chat unless your dividend will cover the entire order. Live chat is not a secure method of giving credit card information. If you'd like me to call you, I'd be happy to do that and take your order for you. Otherwise, you'll need to call us at your convenience to place the order.
    Brenda M: We can be reached at 1-800-426-4840 from 4 AM to 11 PM Pacific Time, seven days a week. We are closed tomorrow, Easter Sunday.
    Brenda M: Would you like me to call you?
    Nate: sure you can call me at [DELETED]
    Brenda M: I'm calling you now.
    Brenda M: Thank you for using REI Live Help! If you would like a transcript of this Live Help session for later reference, click on the print button to the right of this window.
    Brenda M: Your new order number is [DELETED].

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Can't use your REI coupon, but there are 2 at Tahoe Mountain Sports: http://www.tahoemountainsports.com/product/thermarest-neoair-xtherm-regular/thermarest

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

To follow up on my earlier post, I got a tracking number for the XTherm I ordered from REI. Shipped yesterday from WA, so I'll probably have it by Monday.

jim logan
    BPL Member

@jim_logan

I thought the review here http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews was informative and convincing. I sleep VERY cold and the XTherm seems like the way to go. I will get mine at Bean's since they are nearby and there is no issue with returns at any time.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools