Topic

Length of tarp guylines

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Length of tarp guylines

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I just picked up a Integral Designs Siltarp (5'x8') from gear swap just to experiment with. What length guylines do you recommend that will be versitle enoughfor several pitches? I am planning on putting Z Packs line locks with the canvas loops for easy adjustment, I ordered 8 of them. I haven't tried setting it up yet, but I was thinking around 3' for each guyline.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

That's too short for a lean to.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out the video #9 from Suluk46.com (Steve Evans) here for a short tutorial on 3 common ways to set up a solo tarp:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Suluk46/videos

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Thanks, Steven. I need all the instruction I can get after a recent experience.

Andy, I have successfully used 2 8 foot guy lines off the centerline and 6 3 foot lines off the edges with my ID Sil1 in a decent rain storm. I pitched it very low with the foot end nearly on the ground and stayed dry in a meteor bivy. Recent experience makes me feel that I need more varied lengths of guy line to make adjustments to terrain elements and weather and that the 5×8 is just too small when it really matters although I think it is a good option for California's wet/dry season where you can predict relatively well that you won't be drowned on any given outing.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

The extra weight of a foot or two per guyline is negligible (please don't flame me) but the flexibility it can give you is, in my opinion, worth it. In the rocky ground of the Pennsylvania mountains I can't always get a stake in the ground where I need it and find myself tying off to bushes and trees occasionally. That's where an extra 12-24" can be invaluable.

I have 16" lines for my Gatewood Cape (I like to keep it elevated about 4-6" off the ground) and keep two 24-inch "extenders" with my guylines for those times that I need them.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

+1 to Kevin

You never know when you need some extra length of guyline to make your tarp work in rough territory.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools