Topic

MT – Newbie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning MT – Newbie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rachel G
    BPL Member

@cookiemcq

I'm new to backpacking in general. I moved around a lot as a kid, always to large cities, where no one I knew so as much as hiked.
    Now I live in beautiful Montana, and would love to get into backpacking. I've done a couple group trips through the college, and have slowly grown a large collection of gear… the problem is that I never use it.

I don't know the first thing about planning a trip. I don't know how to read maps, or really how to even get started.

I live right between Glacier NP and the Bob Marshall.

None of my friends are into this sort of thing, and I'm quite shy and haven't been able to meet anyone who is. But I feel like I might be able to talk someone into it if I'm able to plan it all out. How do I get started? Are all those guide books really helpful? There are so many that I wouldn't know which one to start with.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I just had to reply to say that I'm jealous of your location! :)

I'd say spend some time learning to read maps and navigate, and check meetup.com for backpacking groups in your area.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Another thought would be to go into one of the gear shops in your area and see if they have any clinics scheduled that might allow you to meet like-minded folks. It's also not a bad idea to just drop in one of the outfitters and start talking to them. They can often offer a suggestion for a 1-2 night "get acquainted with the area" trip.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Rachel, send me a PM. You don't sound too far from me. I can give you a few tips about local places to check out (and those to avoid).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Come hiking with Clayton and me! With as warm as it's been lately this promises to be a killer year for hiking on dirt.

dave at backpackinglight dot com (seriously, 'net appearances to the contrary I'm actually totally agoraphobic and non-scary).

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Rachel,

The Bob Marshall Wilderness Foundation in Hungry Horse (at the USFS building), http://www.bmwf.org, and the Montana Wilderness Association, http://www.wildmontana.org, have organized hikes and trail programs in your area. One way to meet some hikers.

Cheers, Richard

Rachel G
    BPL Member

@cookiemcq

Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it and I will try to check those out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools