Topic

MYOG quilt. Which Thread?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG quilt. Which Thread?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Locale: New England

Im planning to make an Apex 2.5 quilt using 1.1 oz nylon with DWR for the shell and silk as the liner. My question is what thread should I use? I was considering the Gutermann Mara Tex 40 sold at DIY Gear Supply but noticed in the forums here that some say this is heavier than necessary. So, Gutermann or something else?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I used to use thru-hiker tex 20 thread but have switched to maxi-lock serger spoils. They are tex 27 and great for light nylons. Also they come in lots of colors. They can be found at Hancock fabrics. Joanns sells toldi-lock serger cones made by guttermann which also works ok. It isn't as strong but should be ok. These serger spools are a much cheaper way to get thread but the DIY gear supply stuff is just fine too, heavier than needed but fine.

-Tim

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Thanks Tim, I'll check it out.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Joanns sells toldi-lock serger cones made by guttermann which also works ok. It isn't as strong but should be ok."

You know, people told me that serger thread wasn't any good for what I was sewing, but I got some anyway. It is not as strong as some of the tough threads, but it seems to do OK for ordinary stuff.

–B.G.–

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I agree Bob. I won't use if form everything but quilts and winshells it is perfect.

-Tim

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Anyone here ever tried using some sort of mesh as quilt lining?

Patrick Weldon

@setterp

Locale: Hickory, NC

I used Ray-Way Thread (Ray Jardine) on my recent quilt. Using a walking foot and #9 needle combo worked perfect on Momentum50 material. And the Ray-Way thread is TOUGH stuff.

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

mara 80 (the 40 ) is pretty heavy thread for a quilt. Cleaner's supply (perfectly happy to sell to the general public, no minimum, and very cheap shipping) sell mara 100 (30 tex) on 1000 meter put ups and mara 120 (25 tex) on 5000 meter put ups (it might be the mara 150, which is 20 tex, have to check when I get home). they supply it in a whole range of colors, too. It's a much better choice for general sewing than serger threads.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Small quantities available here.

http://www.wawak.com/products/category.cfm?cID=1326

Hobbes W

@hobbesatronic

Locale: SoCal

I use basic Gutermann SewAll aka Mara 100 (Tex 30) for quilts and non-stress points like tarp/pack hems with either 70/10 or 80/12 needles depending on whether the fabric is 10/20d eg M50/90 or 30d eg 1.3 silnylon.

I switch to Mara 70 (Tex 40) with an 80/12 needle for tarp & pack seams, and then finally move up to a 90/14 needle for pack attach points and tarp tie-outs.

This quilt was done using 70/10 needles & SewAll:

Karo quilt

I thought about using something like a tex 25/27 thread with a 65/9 needle, but then thought the constant stress from either sleeping burrito style, not to mention stuffing in a sack, might be too much.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

Thanks for all the info guys. Im going to go with something a bit thinner than the t-40 gutermann. I'll save the t-40 for other projects.

Bruce Thibeault
    BPL Member

@brucetbo

My Dharma Trading order came in today and I dyed the silk so it'll be ready when the insulation and nylon get here. I picked up some tex-30 thread at a local shop. All this waiting… ugh

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I really favored Mettler Meterosene plus for home machines, its the best quality thread I found for the application without buying industrial sized spools. Unfortunately it's not available in large cones.

These days I'm using Gutterman Tera 80 (gutterman model numbers don't correspond with thread tex), which is a high strength mono filament thread, and I've been real pleased with it. I find the maxilock or lower tex threads like the Mara 120 to be too weak, and I've had threads break in the seam when put under tension.

The thru-hiker cones are strong for their weight(tex), but I find it to be a real dirty thread that leaves a lot of fiber behind and can have some feeding problems with some machines.

YMMV of course.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools