Topic

overnight Sierra ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

With young kids its becoming harder and harder to get out on those long trips I love so much. So, this summer I want to try and get in a lot of shorter trips. I love the Sierra and would appreciate some ideas on fun 1-2 night trips in the eastern sierra. I'll be driving from Orange County.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

I don't know how much help this will be if you are coming from OC, but I really enjoyed our out and back overnight to Bear Twin Lakes. It's near Lake Thomas A. Edison.
    While I haven't done it yet, I'd like to do an overnight out of Mineral King to Eagle lake or Franklin lakes. I think one of them has golden trout!
    Also on my to do list is an overnight to a group of small lakes from the northwest side of Courtright reservoir. Or doing just a section of the Rae lakes loop, also near courtright.

Of course, this may all be too far north for you, as these are trips I've done or want to do coming out of SF bay area. Mineral King might not be too far for you though

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Jeff,
    Definitely check out Cottonwood Lakes near Lone Pine. 4hr drive, 4hr hike.

Muir

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I don't have any specific trip suggestions off the top of my head, but I'd suggest studying options in the South Sierra Wilderness and/or Golden Trout Wilderness, so as to limit your driving time. Look at trips heading out of places like Olancha from Hwy 395.

Or, from the west side behind Porterville (nearish Bakersfield) off Hwy 190 you could follow the Kern and/or Little Kern up into the Sierra. Little different feel on the west side compared to the east side, but still pretty nice.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

GTW –

West side can be easily accessed from Lloyd Meadows above the Johnsondale bridge. Only a couple mile hike down to the Forks of the Kern. I have traveled many times from here to the Sierra Crest (more than a couple day trip though). Permits are much easier to get on the West side (different permitting agency).

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I haven't done any west side trips yet so I appreciate those ideas. Cottonwood lakes is definitely on the list. Keep the suggestions coming.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" I love the Sierra and would appreciate some ideas on fun 1-2 night trips in the eastern sierra. I'll be driving from Orange County."

There are numerous lakes up at the foot of the Sierra Crest just above Lake Sabrina, due west of Bishop: Hungry Packer Lake, Mignight Lake, Baboon Lakes, to name a few.

This is a beautiful area, and none of these lakes require more than 3 hours to reach at a very leisurely pace. The TH is at ~9000'. If you can time your hike for a full moon, as I did in mid October a few years back, it will be an experience you will long remember. It is also a wonderful place to take kids. If you have the Tom Harrison Bishop Pass map, you will be able to easily understand what I am talking about. Best of luck, wherever you decide to go.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

There are a few lakes a mile or two up the trail headed to Kearsarge Pass. Take an hour or so to get there, set up camp, dayhike to the pass or explore the other lakes in the area or fish where fish havn't been gill netted. Last summer on my solo trip, I stayed my last night here, one area of a lake close to the trail had been over used in my opinion, turned me off, I moved to the other side, great spot. Cottonwood Lakes area has a number of lakes scattered around, low elevation gain there. Out of South Lake in the Treasure Lakes area I believe it is, a few lakes up there strung out, fishing possibilities. Other lakes along the trail to Bishop Pass, very nice.
    Duane

Anonymous
    Inactive

One thing to bear in mind is that TH for most of the above mentioned destinations is at or above ~9000'. If you have difficulty acclimatizing in a short period of time, this should be taken into consideration. Otherwise, you could be in for a disappointing weekend.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Preadolescent children are thought to be more susceptible to high altitude problems than adults are.

–B.G.–

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Despite living just above sea level, I usually don't have altitude problems until above 12k when coming straight from home. Fishing will definitely be on the menu for these trips so I appreciate the suggestions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools