Topic

It happened…the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) It happened…the dreaded flat pad at 2AM (Exped SynMat UL7)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    NW Hiker
    Spectator

@king2005ify

It's called a "pinch flat", and it happens all the time in the Mt Biking world (and why I ride tubeless nowadays).

Caused when a good amount of pressure pinches and pops the inflated item, while not puncturing the tire (or in this case the tent floor). This flat always looks like a tear, because it is, and is really hard to patch even on a tire.

If you want to use a inflatable at 255 lbs, I am sure you could but I would just avoid the ultralight models (use models like neoair all season, TAR Prolites, Exped Downmats, etc.). All of these models have much tougher exteriors, and there are many that cowboy camp on them with zero issues.

The nts of restful sleep on an air pad would offset the horrible CCF nights IMO!

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Some more ideas:
    I have slept on a GG NightLite Torso pad (3.7oz) with an open cell foam on that— 15”x30”x1.5” @ 5.5oz. I couldn’t sleep on the Torso pad itself. I wish I could. And I could probably handle that combo for the rest of my life. However, I later switched to the short Prolite 4. That was a little more comfortable at a weight cost but packing-room bonus. I haven’t heard of anyone puncturing those. Then I went to the short Neoair. And that was a little more comfortable with weight reduction AND packing-room bonus.

Some day in the future I may play with the CCF concept again.

Hopefully you find that sleeping zen,
    -Barry
    -The mountains were made for Tevas

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Like others, I put a thinlight pad underneath an inflatable (in my case, a NeoAir). It provides a little bit of extra warmth and comfort along with a little bit of protection. If the inflatable does deflate, I at least have some warmth (a lot more than just a deflated NeoAir). I use the thinlight as my sit pad, so it gets use during the day. I just have to remember to brush it off before putting it in the tent. Because I would normally carry a sit pad anyway, the additional weight is minimal.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I always thought a pinch flat was caused by the tube getting inbetween the tire and the rim either from improper assembally or low tire pressure or both.

Chris Rothwell

@heelix

Locale: Midwest

I learned my lesson about leaving the patch kit behind last fall. I was wiggling into my bag and popped my neoair. Tried to just sleep on my clothing and pack, but it made for a really cold night. A pile of leaves just don't have the same r factor.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

That's what I like about inflated foam pads – if a Griz gets at one, you still have at least something between you and the ground.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools