Topic

Sierra High Route – Trail Runners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra High Route – Trail Runners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Finishing up on some of my gear for my planned SHR. Going to start at Roads End and going to Dusy Basin. I'm planing on wearing trail runners and was wanting to get input from those who have done this section already.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

This all depends on your mechanics. I have problems with my ankles and wear a light boot such as inov8's. The upper sierras are crazy rocky. If your ankles can take it, then go for it. You will also be doing a lot of cross country and with that some damp terrain. You may want to go for a water resistant or water-proof shoe. This will help even more with a good gaitor.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Last summer I hiked the 2nd Recess to Piute Trail section of the SHR wearing trail runners (ASICs Gel Trabuco) and had no issues whatsoever. There was limited talus hopping due to the big snowpack so this may have been a factor in my success.

That said I've been over Lamarck Col in trail runners and over Cirque Pass & Harrison Pass in light hikers, so in my experience I think a trairunner is hardy enough footgear.

I did spend 4 seasons strengthening my ankles and testing various shoes and sandals in different conditions before attempting an SHR section with trail runners, so YMMV.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I used a pair of Sportiva's, the wildcats, and LOVED them! They were awesome. I put some Dirty Girl Gaiters on them, and never had a problem…

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"I used a pair of Sportiva's, the wildcats, and LOVED them! They were awesome. I put some Dirty Girl Gaiters on them, and never had a problem…"

I wore Trail runners on my SHR trek and would likely go with Steve's exact setup if hiking it again.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

Just picked up a pair of salomon xa 3d utra2 and really like them. Toe box is just right for me. I had the Asolo 520 and found that i was turning my ankle alot in them. I wore boots for 7 years in the military so botts are nothing new to me. Trail runners are def much better for me. Now I just need to find a good way down Snow Tongue Pass :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools