Topic

4 day, early April Trip, Skiing in Sierras

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 4 day, early April Trip, Skiing in Sierras

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Simon Weiss
    BPL Member

@simongtr

Locale: Bay Area

I have gone to Ostrander Ski hut 2 years in a row, and this year it's booked, as in Pear Lake Ski hut. And, I want to extend my trip from 3 to 4 days. Ideally we would have a hut to spend 1 of the 3 nights, and possibly as a nice destination/goal.

We want to avoid avalanche conditions (we'll have to be careful about going after major weather and steep slopes).

Any recommended routes that would be manageable? <8 miles/day average. Seems like the Tuolumne Meadows Hut would be too far for 2 days each way.

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I guess you know that there is a whole series of ski huts in the Lake Tahoe region. About 25 years ago, they were spread out about one day's ski journey apart. Then the one between Squaw and Alpine was removed and a new one built north of Squaw. Some of the route segments are quite safe, and others are a little dicey in spots. There are huts up and down the Sierra Crest, but you just have to know where they are.

I've skied to the Tuolumne Meadows hut. Once was from Yosemite Valley to there in two days. Once was from lower Lee Vining Canyon to there in two days.

–B.G.–

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools