Topic

AT thru hike 3/28/12

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT thru hike 3/28/12

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

This is my gear list for my AT thru. I'll be starting from Amicalola Falls on 3/18/12. I'm pretty sure I've included every last thing that I'll be taking for a base weight of 9.66lbs. With food and no water the pack weighs in around 19lbs maybe slightly under (bathroom scale sucks).

Here's the list

Edit: D'oh, forgot to add a gatorade bottle so figure another 1.2oz.

Suggestions/comments?

Jack G

@nomadjack

Locale: Midwest

What jumps out at me is the 7 oz. pack and the 14 oz. first aid/hygiene kit. I'd start by reversing those and take a pack with more volume than 1740 cubic inches and a much lighter first aid/hygiene kit. Especially with all the clothing you have on your list I can't figure how you will be able to fit it all in the zpacks zero. A mesh outer pocket for wet gear would also be something I wouldn't do a thru hike without and side pocket(s) for hauling the full platy in the cases when you fill up on your way to camp. Cramming everything into a pack that is too small sucks, especially when everything is wet.

I would still pair down the clothing even with a larger pack. I'd drop the neck warmer, down booties, wool leggings and hoody. You've got the Nano Puff, hoody is redundant. If you're that cold at camp wrap yourself in your quilt.

Other than the minimal wind jacket it doesn't look like you have any rain protection unless I missed it. I would pick up a set of DriDucks.

You've got a 5.8 oz. knife for "fire building and defense." You're safe on the AT and there's no need for defense. Cooking with wood is fun for a weekend but I guarantee you after hiking all day the last thing you will want to do is deal with it, especially when there's no dry wood to be found. Drop the knife and use the 6 oz for alcohol. A single edge razor blade or something like a Stanley Mitey is all you need.

Most importantly, have fun!

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

As for the pack, it is very small. It is almost full to the brim with 4 days food. I have a ULA ohm @ 22oz which I'm still debating taking instead. I'd really prefer the zero though. It also isn't a bare bones zero. It has a mesh pocket, top strap for putting things on top of the pack, padded hip belt, sternum strap, and a shoulder pouch. I've learned to do without the side pockets in the name of weight savings and will either strap the platy on top of the pack or put it inside the pack.

As for the first aid kit. Yes, I know it's terribly heavy. Alot of the weight comes from being as self sufficient as possible and not resupplying meds at every town. What I mean by that is for example is I carry a 10 day supply of some things such as glucosamine/chondroitin pills, MSM powder, ibuprofen, and daily vitamins. I have bad knees so I like to take y joint supps. Maybe I'll phase them out eventually when I get my trail legs. That alone accounts for 4oz of the weight. Some other items I have a 20 day supply of for example 3x antibiotic, Dr. Bronners soap, and vaseline. That's 2.5oz right there. I also have a round of doxycylyne which is 1oz. I know I can eliminate alot of weight from these items alone but my thinking is that I don't want to be buying bottles of all this stuff and tossing it out for only a little of each. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm definitely open to suggestions in the area of clothing. I'd just love love love to leave the down booties, leggings, and hoody out. I get cold feet at night if it's terribly cold out, maybe I should opt for stuff sacks over the feet instead for the couple cold nights I may see. The leggings will be needed if it gets into the 20s not for any other use besides sleeping, I'd like to leave them out but I don't know. Can I be sure I won't see temps in the 20s again? As for the nano puff, I don't have to hood on mine :( I've been seriously debating leaving the hoody at home and I think I will. I'll have to then take a different long sleeve shirt for 4.25oz then otherwise I'll have only the t-shirt to wear. The neck warmer is just a personal preference thing and you'll probably still think I'm crazy but I consider it part of my system and it gives me alot of adjustability in how warm/cool I am.

Rain gear, I'm gonna be using a poncho tarp with the wind shirt under it. I know it's pretty minimal but is that realistic? I don't think I'll need rain pants because I've hiked in rain in temps around 40* and lowing as the day progressed and my pants totally wetted out and I was fine.

Ah, I knew the knife would be a laughing point. I know I don't need it for defense. What can I say, I like a big knife. I also prefer wood fires and can get one going even in days of rain. I only need to cook 1 meal a day and I'm hoping to grow more fond of no-cook food like couscous. I currently have the alcohol stove as backup and 2oz of alcohol. If anything I hope to stop carrying those items eventually. Who knows, maybe I will get tired of making wood fires to cook with but I haven't yet. Only time will tell. Heck maybe I'll even mail home the knife eventually, but that's just one luxury I like to have.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Ok, so I lightened my first aid/hygiene from 14oz to 10.75oz. I'm not willing to go much lighter than that for now. I've swapped the 12oz merino hoody for a 4.25oz long sleeve shirt.

I'm waiting to hear more concerning the rest of the clothing, particularly the merino leggings and down booties which I'm unsure of.

Jack G

@nomadjack

Rather than the 9 oz. leggings why don't you consider a pair of silkweight long underwear. It would be about 1/3 the weight. I have a couple of pairs of the Terramar brand, got them from Campmor, and like them, reasonably priced. Won't be as warm obviously as the leggings but with a 28 degree quilt you should be fine. I would sleep in the zip-off pants if I were you anyway. With just the poncho tarp though you might end up with wet/muddy pants that you won't want to sleep in. For that reason I'd get a pair of dirty-girl gaiters, at least until it gets warm enough to hike in shorts.

Rather than the down booties, if your feet are cold at night I would just put on the extra pair of socks you've got.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Man I really like the suggestion of silkweight long underwear. I could probably save 5oz. Unfortunately I'd like to avoid buying anything new. I'm pretty cheap since I haven't had a job in 2 months and don't plan to for 5 more. Maybe I'll scan the BPL sell forums and see if I can convince someone to ship me some on the trail.

I definitely don't have a problem sleeping in the zip-off pants if they are dry.

I'm at 90% for leaving to down booties at home right now. The socks really won't even add that much warmth. I'm gonna have to do some investigating on VBL sock effect of stuff sacks.

Jack G

@nomadjack

For an extra ounce carry two pairs of the darn tough socks and drop the toe socks. Doubling them up should add some more warmth. Or wrap the nano puff around your feet at night.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Well, I don't have anymore of the darn tough socks. They also weigh 2.9oz where the booties weigh 2.6oz. As for the nano puff, if the temperatures are cold enough to need the booties or extra socks then they're also cold enough to need the nano puff on my torso.

I'm still undecided but leaning towards just using spare stuff sacks to put my feet in.

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Well, I'm doing my final packing this morning and I've decided to keep the booties and leggings. Good insurance for IF it gets cold again. I just can't be sure it wont get cold in april on some of these mountains. Those are really the only items differentiating my summer gear from spring gear and I'll be sure to send them home ASAP when I feel like I don't need them.

Thanks for the advice and farewell BPL. I'll try to post back occasionally from the trail. For anyone interested in following my trip my website is http://www.thruperspective.com

Phillip

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools