Topic

New England GGG #3 Springtime!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New England GGG #3 Springtime!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Ryan, If a map is $10 I'd say pick up at least one so as a group we can have an spare/extra.

so far it looks like
    -Ryan
    -Clint
    -Mr Anderson
    -Me

Do we intend to use the shelters or should we plan on bringing shelter, or?
    How do we want to work out shared resources like stoves, etc?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Bring tents (hammock, tarp, whatever), because it's possible that both nights we'll end up at sites that don't have shelters. Don't want to be caught out in the rain if that's the case.

I just checked Toadstool down the road, and they have several copies of the guidebook, which comes bundled with the map. They didn't have just the map, though. Total cost is $17 per guidebook. I've got my old copy, which is still good. If anyone else wants a copy, I could pick one up for you.

I'll be bringing my one-person alcohol stove. It's probably going to be similar conditions to our Western Mass meet-up.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Yea looks like it has the chance to get fairly cold at night. Though It will not be anything like our last trip.

I would like to try and experiment with going stove less at some point this summer, but I do not think that this trip is that time.

We are going to have to get up and moving fairly early to make the miles.

Pete Anderson

@hosaphone

Locale: Boston-ish, MA

Nooooooooooo, just realized I can't make it that weekend after all :(

Hopefully I'll join you guys on the next one, which will hopefully be soon!

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

yea, I may be out too, I just got work I may have to work that weekend =/

I should know by midweek.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Oh no! Did we just lose half of our crew?

Well, I'm still in if you are, Clint!

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

I'm hoping not! keep your fingers crossed for me =D

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Bummer you cant make it Pete. Next time, the season is young. I am still up for this hike, I am excited for it, should be a sweet trip to get some hiking in. Steve my feet are crossed as I type this does that count? Here is to not having work to do. You know you would rather be out hikin.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

http://www.hikingnewengland.com/topic/915-monadnock-sunapee-greenway/page__view__findpost__p__4317

good report of a two day trip of it.

What's everyone's time schedule for meeting on Friday? I have to work Friday but am hoping I can head home around 4 which means I could be at Monadnock around 7/7:30 to meet Ryan and then drive up.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

lol 40lb for a 2 day mentally posting "you're doing it wrong!"

looks like i might be doing the CT section of AT the 28th weekend. 3 nights. aiming for a pack <25

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

I hiked the Greenway a few months after those folks. I don't remember it being very difficult, but I was coming straight from the White Mountains, so maybe my perspective was a little off. Either way, I think we'll be fine.

We've got one guy from Views From The Top joining us now.

Monadnock at 7/7:30… looks like we'll have a little bit of night hiking on Friday. No matter. I think it'll be a good time.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

One nice thing about a desk job is I have the weekdays to recover =D

If I can somehow manage to bring Lupus to work Friday I could cut that time off by at least an hour. dunno if I can pull that off though…

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

I put up a Catskills loop thread, figured I would post here to spark some interest…

Catskills Big Indian Wilderness Loop

Have a fun trip this weekend, count me in on future trips that are for the weekend warriors!

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

If we could hike in the 7mi to Gaplin Shelter Friday night that would put us in good position for the 25mi to Crider Shelter on sat, leaving about 18.5 Sunday to Monadnock.

The other option is to make it to Fox Brook Tent Platform by Saturday night from where ever we camp at Friday night and then have 25mi to go on Sunday

A little bit of night hiking might be fun…though I better check the batteries are fresh.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Should I meet you guys at sunapee?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

That's probably a good bet. I'm going to call the ski resort today about where we should park. If we're going to start hiking relatively late, it might be a good idea for us to hike as a group for the evening. The beginning of the trail from the ski resort can be tricky to find. Once you're at the summit, it's much easier.

And getting all the way to the Galpin shelter is probably a really good idea, too. I'm still going to bring my tarp for tenting just in case. 7 miles in the dark will be exciting, to say the least :)

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

I just called the ski resort about parking, and they said we're fine to park in Lot 2, just let them know ahead of time what type of car, license plate, and for how long (I guess just in case cars get abandoned there or something). If those of you who are coming want to email me with that info, I'll call the resort back and let them know which cars will be at their lot for the weekend.

I just remembered, some of the best views of the greenway are between Sunapee and Galpin shelter, but… whateva. If we do that section at night we'll just have to come back for those views some other time :)

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

we can always hike it South to North?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

South to north? Well that's just crazy talk.

Actually, that might be a much better idea. Sunset on Monadnock, then 6 easy miles to Spiltoir Shelter. Then 44 miles in two days? In that case we'd meet at sunapee, then shuttle down to Monadnock.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

haha, you know me, i'M CrAzY!

Perhaps then, Clint and/or the VFTT fellow could meet you at the North and drive down south and that will "buy" me time to meet you?

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Oops. The guy from VFTT is out– change of plans.

So… Clint, when can you get to Sunapee? :)

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

I like the change in plans, heading north sounds good to me. I have already hiked monadnock before so the goal will be a place I have not been and We get to hit the views on sunday.

I am going to ask tomorrow, Defiantly by 4 but I am hoping to get out by 3 or earlier if I can that way I could be at sunapee by 530 and we could be down to monadnock before 7.

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

The guy from VFTT is back in, and he lives near Concord, which is close to Sunapee. So I may meet him in the afternoon at Sunapee, leave my car there, and we can all meet near monadnock.

Monadnock to Spiltoir shelter- 6 miles
    Spiltoir Shelter to General Washington Shelter- 25 miles
    Washington Shelter to Sunapee Parking lot- 18 miles

No problem.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

That works for me, I was not able to ask today about getting out early but I have put in extra time this week and it should not be a prob. If I can leave by 3 I will be at monadnock around 6 leaving straight from work.

Looks like we may hit a little weather on saturday and a even better chance sunday. I am hoping ti will clear up but….if it rains I dont care dont make no difference to me…

Ryan ur hiking plan looks good to me. Lets do this!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Sweet. Let's meet in Peterborough NH at the Toadstool Bookstore around 6 or so. I'm meeting the VFTT guy at Sunapee earlier to drop off a car, and we'll head to Peterborough from there.

Let's see. Clint and Steve, I'll email you my phone number in case you don't have it.

Looks like rain! But hopefully not too much.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools