Topic

Camera recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Camera recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I'm looking for a digital camera to take on my JMT trip. Other than UL and not a PITA to use or carry, I don't know where to start. I'm not a camera ninja and my last camera was a Canon Powershot 450. I was thinking of one of the GoPro systems because the mounting options seemed cool with hands free operation.

Any suggestions?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might want to mention what it is that you shoot. Some backpackers just shoot one of each campsite and maybe a few scenery shots along the trail. Some like to get creative, so they are down on their belly shooting close-ups of flowers. Wildlife… that takes you off into a different class of equipment.

Most of them like a Powershot 450 suit a wide range of backpackers.

–B.G.–

Peter James
    BPL Member

@pbjames

Locale: High Sierra

The Canon S95 and S100 have the best image quality to weight ratio of current point & shoot digital cameras. The S100 is pricier, but has a wider angle of view on its' zoom lens, which can be useful for various scenic shots.

I'd avoid the various waterproof/freezeproof/shockproof models, unless you are prone to not taking care of your camera (or want to go swimming with it). They tend to be bulkier, heavier, and offer worse image quality compared to their non-waterproof ilk.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The GoPro is an "action camera", that is one designed for video clips of a sport type activity.
    Not that good as a still camera…
    I would disagree about the waterproof/shockproof cameras.
    Yes cameras like the Canon s95/100, Pana LX 5 and say the Nikon P7100 are optically better than any of the WP type and offer more manual settings , however something like the Pana TS3/4 at 7oz with a 28-128mm (equivalent) lens offers more than good enough quality to the casual shooter.
    for a comparison the Canon A450 had a 38-122 lens (less wide angle) about the same size as the Pana (the Pana is slimmer but taller)
    Here are a couple of shots from a mate's Pana TS1
    TS1 1
    TS1 2
    TS1 3

Franco
    If a water resistant/shock resistant body is not important to you , then the Elph 100HS suggested below is a great buy at $109 or around that…

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Just FYI – costco has a few very small P&S cameras around or under $100 – Canon, Olympus, Fuji. All around 12-14 megapixel, video, etc. At such price and considering their return policy – i would give Canon a shot (1080p video, 12mp, 4gb SD card included,28-112mm lens with optical stabilization)
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS – $109 at local costo, not online

Good luck!

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Thanks to all, you've given me plenty of models to check out.

Richard Juen

@skinkrj1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If it is not too late, check out the Canon Powershot Elph 310 HS. It is small and light. I bought one a few months ago for my wife and it is great for hiking.

Ryan Tir
    BPL Member

@ryan_t

I'm looking at the Canon G1X at the moment.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I wouldn't….

from http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong1x/19

Very slow continuous shooting for this class of camera, no control over parameters in High-Speed Burst scene mode
    Comparatively slow AF, slowing down further in macro mode
    Limited close focusing capabilities require frequent switches to macro focus mode
    Built-in zoom lens is relatively slow, especially at the tele-end
    Slightly steep tone curve in the highlights can lead to blown highlights in high contrast scenes
    DR correction, digital filters, noise reduction and other image parameters not available when shooting raw
    Noise reduction not adjustable when shooting Raw+JPEG
    Slightly 'conservative' feature set, no panorama mode or high speed video/stills modes
    Simple video mode, no manual controls or external microphone socket
    Jagged lines and other artifacts in video output
    Below average battery life
    Auto ISO only goes up to ISO 1600
    Not possible to fit filters and a lens hood at the same time

Khader Ahmad

@337guanacos

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda

A very good friend of mine, who happens to be a photography teacher, once told me a basic rule to buy cameras:

" don't spend more than 150, or less than 3000"

Blair Blair

@david_brett

Hello,
    Well have you try sony new camera?
    I think its too good special for new one like you, who love good result.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools