Topic

Golite SL2 & SL3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite SL2 & SL3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan S.

@badscooter

Locale: New England

Hi all, I'm looking at the Go-Lite Sl2 and SL3 and I've had trouble finding full reviews of either product. I'm leaning towards the SL3 because as a big guy, I like to have a little extra space. I figure I can use trekking poles for the center support and cut some weight, thus making it a fairly light shelter system.

Thoughts on either the Sl2 or SL3?

Carl Umland
    BPL Member

@chumland

Locale: Pacific Crest Trail, mostly

Ryan,
    I like the roomyness of the SL2, it's a great shelter. It's 9' long X 54" wide and 43" high. Don't get the inner net tent or floor as they weigh more than the shelter itself. One just like it is the "Black Diamond Betamid light". You can find good sales of them from time to time. I had John at "Bear Paw Wilderness Designs" sew a "Noseeum" perimiter and door on mine. There's lots of room for my wife and I plus all of our gear. I had to send it back 'cause he kinda didn't know how to stake it out correctly and had to modify it. It's seen here;

http://bearpawwd.com/custom/custom_images/cshangrila2netdoor_1.jpg

Best,
    Mulestomper

Rebecca Canode
    Spectator

@bcanode

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. We have both. Both are very roomy. I can't believe how long the SL2 is and its a little more narrow so it fits in tighter spots. If you are tall, I would probably recommend the SL2. The volume inside the SL3 is amazing. We call it the circus tent. I would say it is more livable and a better choice if you are stuck inside from bad weather.

I like both better with just the bathtub floor instead of the 'nest'. The mesh in the nest eats up some of the interior volume and make them feel a little more cramped. If you need bug protection and plan to use the nest most of the time, then I would probably lean more towards the SL3. Our nest for the SL2 is much shorter than the fly (by about 1.5 ft). So, this negates the extra length and makes it trickier to get in and out. However if you are going to use it with just the bathtub floor, then I think I would lean more toward the SL2. Its a little easier to pitch and probably a little lighter. But like I said, you can't go wrong with either.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Haven't used the SL3 but the SL2 is the primary shelter I've used over the last couple of years. You can find some of my thoughts on it at Dondo Outdoors.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Don't get the inner net tent or floor as they weigh more than the shelter itself."

Not the current net tent – it is less by 8 oz. The current net tent also is shorter than the main fly which permits a vestibule. The current pic on the Golite site is not accurate and will be changed shortly.

Ryan S.

@badscooter

Locale: New England

Thanks for the info everybody. After speaking to the lady though, it looks like she isn't too keen on going to a Go-Lite tent because the center pole will act as divider of sorts between the two of us. I'll be looking more closely at the two Go-Lites as well as at the Tarptents, specifically the Rainshadow 2.

Jeff LaVista
    BPL Member

@lavista

You can pitch most mid shelters "A frame" style, if you're both using trekking poles you should be able to figure something out between the four poles, or suspend the peak from a branch or top rope

On the sl3 you can offset the pole to one side to make one bigger hemisphere. Not enough space for two err.. platonic hikers, but plenty of room to share with a more intimate partner. Keyword here is "spooning".

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools