Topic

1.37 ounce huarache

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.37 ounce huarache

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

This is my first attempt at a light weight and durable huarache to use on my 2013 AT through hike(as a camp shoe). They are inspired by invisible shoes and tied in the ultra-minimalist style on there web site. invisibleshoe.com

I made these out of some draw chord and vinyl floor runner that I found at the hardware store. I might switch the design to inner tubes and draw chord if durability proves to be an issue. We'll see, I like the feel of them.

weight

cut out

nice

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

I think these would be great camp shoes. I am almost about to pull the trigger on a pair of Invisible Shoes but the 6mm in my size is backordered. I think for just walking you wouldn't have a problem but you may find that the toe may droop and get caught on things since it doesn't lift up.

Great weight though. Please keep us posted on how well they work out around the house and on the trail. I've seen similar people use shoe inserts since they have the same shape and contours of a shoe. I don't think they would last very long though since they are all made out of cheap, light foam.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've done a similar thing, but using an insert from an old pair of trail runners. Pre-formed!

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

My first thought was that I would use invisible shoes for camp and river crossing. I bought some 4mm ones and they have basically replaced Chacos for around the town and mild day hike footwear. I would run in them if I ever ran. I absolutely love them. However they came in at just over 8oz and that seemed a little heavy for carrying into the back-county.

I had considered the shoe inserts but really want something with enough durability to wear in town and cross rivers as well as use them as a camp shoe. I am going to wear them in place of my invisible shoes around town until they break. They are as comfortable as the Invisible shoes so it shouldn't be a problem there. The sole is thinner than the invisible shoes but it is a flooring product so it should be fairly tough stuff.

By the way these are $1.00 shoes. So that's kind of nice as well!

I will certainly post back on my findings.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

When they are I'm stock, these weigh 1.9 oz in large and are less than $4 for something a lot more stable. I've tried a lot of other options and like these the best.

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

matthew rangel
    BPL Member

@mrangel

In another post I shared a 3.5 ounce/pair sandal. These are very comfy and more sturdy.

3.5 ounce stream xing Sandal

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=62012&skip_to_post=530060#530060

Jake Morrison

@barefootjake

Great Idea for Camp Footwear.

+1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools