Topic

My first hiking shoes!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) My first hiking shoes!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ther Iel

@theriel

Hello everyone!
    I have been slowly convinced to change my approach to mountain hiking. So far, I have been taught that any mountain hike = heavy leather boots.

Having done my homework, read lots of useful information on this website, invested in some literature (Mike Clelland!) I decided that it's time to buy my first pair of proper footwear.

What I am looking for:
    ->3 season shoe
    ->breathable (non-Goretex)
    ->comfortable
    ->good grip (wet rocks etc.)
    ->newbie-friendly (not super-ultra-lightweight)

I have found recommendations for the following models:
    –> Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra
    –> La Sportiva Wildcat 2
    –> La Sportiva Raptor (thank you Phillip!)
    –> La Sportiva Crosslite 2
    –> Inov-8 Terroc 330
    –> Inov-8 Rocline 315
    –> Inov-8 FlyRoc 305

My (newbie) views:
    ->I don't like Crosslite's design (net)
    ->I have no clue what's the real difference between Inov-8 models (despite having studies the website), but Terroc 330 seems to be my favourite.

In summary: I don't really know which shoe to choose. Obviously, I will pick the one with the best fit. However, I would prefer to have some idea of their comparative performance before I go to the store.

I would truly appreciate ANY views/advice/recommendations you might have!

Thank you!

Phillip Colelli
    Spectator

@pdcolelli42

Locale: AT, follow@ www.thruperspective.com

Try them all on if you can. From the looks of it, most of those would all be great shoes for you. What it really comes down to though is what fits you the best. If you can achieve the perfect fitting shoe, you will be happy.

I can't really offer much comparative advice. I do own LaSportiva Raptors though which I think are very similar to the wildcats. I love them. They are very grippy but have softer rubber than wildcats. The lugs on the bottom (which looks the same as wildcats) IMO really are what provide the grip on steep down hills. My feet feel really supported by the entire shoe.

I'd recommend some superfeet greens too and your feet will thank you.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I have an earlier version of the Salomon that's just about worn out – and I've enjoyed every mile!

I'm breaking in the Wildcat now, and find it pretty good, though not much support under the arch.

Which ever one you get, I'm sure you'll be delighted with the lighter weight on your feet!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I'm surprised you found a comparison that says the Roclite 295 is less durable than the Terroc 330.

My Terroc 330's look like they're done after only about 200 miles. The tread in the forefoot is almost worn down. There are holes in the uppers near my pinkies. The liner behind my heel has worn through and it seems like more of it falls out every time I remove my foot. I do like these shoes once they're on my feet, but I expect shoes to last at least 300 miles. Usually it's the midsole in shoes that wear out, but that's one of the few things in this shoe that feels like it has plenty of life left.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I'd forget about recommendations. Everyone's feet are different. The most important things about shoes are fit, fit and fit! Nothing else matters. There is no substitute for trying on many makes and varieties.

Once you've found the perfect pair (and you won't know for sure until you've gotten some trail miles on them with your pack), buy several pair. The manufacturer will undoubtedly change the model next year.

I very reluctantly made the change from boots to trail runners a few years ago. It was amazing how much difference the trail runners made, including increased stability. It's the footbed, not the leather around the ankles, that is most important for that. I also have been blister-free since the change, despite having quite deformed feet. I will never go back to boots!

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

What about New Balance? Also, do any of these shoes or NB's have rock plates? I'm needing to buy some shoes also, and love my NB's, but am finding that I'd really benefit from a rock plate.

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

New Balance MT110
    Brooks Cascadia 7

These are currently my primary shoes. Both have good rock protection and breath very well.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Any of them are fine IF they give you a good fit.

IMO, you MUST go to a store where you can try them, wear them around 10-20+ minutes, and wear them while pointed downhill on a ramp. A real outdoors store will have a carpeted ramp for that purpose. REI certainly does.

If it still seems good in the store, DON'T wear them home just yet. Keep them clean, wear them around the house for a day (REI and the independent store I used work in will take them back if you haven't gone outside in them).

Go for the largest size that doesn't give more than a minimal and completely benign amount of heel slip. Your feet get bigger on a high-mileage day and more so on long trip. That's almost certainly a 1/2 size larger than you usually buy, often a full size larger.

I find shoes over my ankles just cause problems (except if I need coverage in deep snow). I need stiffness in the sole (my distinction between a low-cut hiker / trail runner versus a regular running shoe which is all cushy rather than stiff enough to protect me from roots and rocks bruising and twisting the bottoms of my feet.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Thanks Larry!

+1 to what David said. Also, if you're an REI member, you can take the shoes back anytime and use their guarantee, though probably best to try them out thoroughly before relying on that so that you don't abuse it. Also, Zappos has an awesome return policy and free shipping both ways, allowing you to wear the shoes in your house for a while before making up your mind.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

"Go for the largest size that doesn't give more than a minimal and completely benign amount of heel slip. Your feet get bigger on a high-mileage day and more so on long trip. That's almost certainly a 1/2 size larger than you usually buy, often a full size larger."

David, I've heard that mentioned a few times but there is also the view that its the upper aspect of your feet which become larger with use not the lower part which is the heel fit, so I've heard simple loosen the laces after walking for a while will do better? That trick has helped me out I just redo the laces after a few hours and it makes feet comfier at the end of the day, and costs $ nothing.

Anyhow, I'm trying for the first time some Roclite 315. Nervous about the change but so many +ve comments I'm giving a shot.

The advice of once you find something which works, buy multiple pairs, is very good advice, your feet don't change much over years but manufacturers "improve" their designs almost every year. Also each shoe will wear in some spot first, so if that is somewhere on the sole then the next pair, proactive apply some Shoe Goo to that spot and it will even out the wear and give a bit more life. In my case its often the heel outside edge wears first and that accelerates the shoe's failure so I now apply Shoe Goo to new shoes on that spot and replenish, it almost doubles the shoe's life in my case, til at least some other part then wears.

Ther Iel

@theriel

Thank you so much for your advice!

Unfortunately, it seems like buying Inov-8 in NYC is quite difficult if not impossible. Unless any of you knows any other stores, I will probably have to restrict myself to the local REI and their Sportiva and Salomon lines…

Still, if any of you has used more than one pair of the aforementioned shoes, any comparative feedback would be really helpful!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Step 1: go to a show store and measure your feet!
    You want both size and width!
    Do not buy shoes which are not wide enough. Do not, ever.

People recommend all sorts of shoes with absolutely no knowledge of what size feet the target person has. That is just plain silly. As Mary said, FIT, FIT, FIT!

And when you find your shoe size, go UP at least 1/2 a size, to allow for foot swelling.

Cheers

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Roger has spoken!

Try a running shoe store rather than REI.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Find the shoe that works for you. Then weep bitterly when they change the design or discontinue the model in a year or so.

Seriously, I agree that shoes are an incredibly personal decision. I like Vasque Blurs from a couple of years back. Work for me. But would something else work? Sure, probably. One thing I did notice is that depending on the terrain, you feet may swell especially over consecutive days of hard hiking. Keep that in mind.

Dirk

Dale Caldwell
    Spectator

@dalemc

Locale: Coastal Georgia

Which of these shoes have a fairly wide toe box?

To my understanding the Inovs do not have a rock plate… this seems to be a huge difference worth noting if it is true.

Nigel Healy

@nigelhealy

Locale: San Francisco bay area

have some Roclite 315. The toe area is pointing to a narrowing, but not so much it feels like it is bending toes inwards, the area between knuckles is fairly wide, also the fabric is so soft it doesnt constrain the width.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Nigel (About one's foot swelling on trips) :

Yes, you might want to loosen the upper part of the shoe.

One option is to not use the last eyelet in the shoe to allow a looser fit near the top for most trail conditions. Then do use it on snow, side slopes, etc.

Another option is to use two shorter laces on each shoe. One for the lower half of the shoes and one for the upper half. That way you can "custom fit" the shoes to your feet and adjust them further as your feet swell and/or trail conditions change. I use some lacing patterns / tightnesses on some shoes that differ between long uphills versus long downhills.

(I've got two long downhills and two long uphills in 3 weeks on the R2R2R.)

Christopher Heine

@heine19

Locale: Colorado

I picked up a pair of New Balance m310 at a discount shoe store near me for $40. I guess they are made specifically for discount warehouses but they seem to work really well. They have a rock plate.

http://www.runblogger.com/2011/08/look-what-i-found-at-discount-shoe.html

Jeff H.
    BPL Member

@jsh3650

Locale: Northeast PA

I'm in the market for some new shoes too. I used my cascadias for a 4 day hike on the PA section of the AT and when I was done the bottoms of my feet felt like someone had beat them with a sledge hammer because of the jagged rocks. Does anyone know which shoes provide the best rock protection without jeopardizing all that goes with using a trail runner over a bulky boot? I was leaning towards Salomon xa prod 3d pro ultra 2 or inov-8 295s.

Thanks

Jason Emerick

@jemerick

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

The New Balance MT1110's have a rock plate which has seem to do pretty well for me though a bit on the heavy side.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Just be careful when buying some of these lightweight trail shoes that are considered transitional into the minimalist. Innov 8 has several of those, and it takes time to get your leg muscles and Achilles tendon used to the drop. I have a pair of the Roclite 268's and love them and they are considered a transitional shoe. I have been running in a pair of Saucony Kinvara's and noticed that my lower leg muscles are relearning their function.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"My Terroc 330's look like they're done after only about 200 miles. The tread in the forefoot is almost worn down. There are holes in the uppers near my pinkies. The liner behind my heel has worn through and it seems like more of it falls out every time I remove my foot. I do like these shoes once they're on my feet, but I expect shoes to last at least 300 miles. Usually it's the midsole in shoes that wear out, but that's one of the few things in this shoe that feels like it has plenty of life left."

Thats kind of interesting because my Terroc 330s have about 130 miles on them, and they are in great shape. I can see them going hundreds of miles more easily.

I dont think you have to spend big $ on shoes to walk. A pair of low buck ($40) trail runners from a local store works fine too. As long as it FITS your foot, all is well.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

When looking for a shoe, I like one that has good lateral support. The lightest shoes tend to be nothing but mesh uppers, and that's nice for cooler feet. But with only mesh to support you, you may find your feet squirming around in your shoe or that you are contorting your feet to not slid one way or the other in your shoe. The picture below is of a Salomon XA Comp 6 (13 oz – Size 9). I don't have this shoe but I do have the XA5,which I really like. It is good in the Sierra and on what ever trail you use it on. Anyway, notice the nice lateral support, plus good cladding around the lower mesh material so it is not as likely to get sliced or torn. Remember, the photo is just for example. I'm not endorsing any shoe here.

Salomon XA Comp 6 - 13 oz

As has been said by several in this thread, fit, fit, fit. Next and nearly important is some lateral support and most likely you'd like a good rock plate as well. All worthy considerations. Good luck in your journey and decision making. Just remember that if you don't like your first pair, go find another pair and just have fun.

SPAM

@chrisgayle885

Brooks Cascadia 7
    Using from past one year and still going great

Devon Cloud

@devoncloud

Locale: Southwest

Look at these hikers, they have goretex and no goretex. They have a good sole giving protection from jagged rocks and are pretty light. inexpensive too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools