Topic

The coffee plan seems to be working

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition The coffee plan seems to be working

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have posted in the past, how I wasn't very happy with being so hooked on coffee that I would get a headache if I did not have a cup by a certain time in the morning.
    Over the past 10 years or so, I have been drinking coffee just about every day, maybe 2 cups on average. The only times that really started to bother me was when I would pack for a backpacking trip and had to make a point of bringing some, and when I accidentally bought decaf Via, had to ask for some from fellow backpackers.
    I don't think coffee is bad for you; some studies indicate it may be beneficial. I don't like having to have…..
    After thinking about what I should do for a while, I came up with a strategy.
    Start by mixing 1 part of decaf grounds with 3 parts regular ( approx.) in my coffee can. Then drink my usual cup and a half before I leave home. Bring the rest in my 2 cup thermos and stop buying the one strong cup at work. So I increased the amount a little, but with less total caffeine. Other benefits are the 10 dollars a week I save and the fact that I can now drink small amounts of hot coffee throughout my morning, without having to stop and go to the cafe.
    After 2 weeks of that I mixed half regular and half decaf. The rest of my routine stayed the same.
    Presently I just finished two weeks of 3 parts decaf and one part regular. Last weekend I did not have any and didn't get a headache : )
    I may stick to this for a while or go decaf all the way; I don't know yet. I don't think I want to give it up completely. I would like to drink it if I really want some or if I need a kick of sorts.
    I'll skip it this weekend and see if I don't get a headache again. That was really my goal to begin with.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Most doctors will tell you that a small or moderate amount of caffeine has a positive effect on athletic performance. Now you have to define moderate. Most will say that the equivalent of up to two cups of brewed coffee is OK, but that varies with some people. Your plan of reducing the caffeine is the most successful plan for most caffeine addicts.

I like a cup of coffee once in a while, but I am much more a fan of hot tea. Fortunately, hot tea has only about half of the caffeine of coffee. Also, with tea you can brew it lighter or heavier, just depending on your mood. My mood has me drinking three or four cups of hot tea per day, not particularly strong. It turns out that the liquid is kind of beneficial for keeping your kidneys washed out, and as long as you don't get too much caffeine going, it's OK. I drink caffeinated hot tea prior to 5 p.m., and decaffeinated hot tea after then.

My apologies to my Mormon friends.

–B.G.–

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Your plan of reducing the caffeine is the most successful plan for most caffeine addicts."

And here I thought I came up with it ; ) I did not hear or read about it but it seemed like a good way to go about it…

I also like tea. I have thought about sticking to my coffee mixture at home and putting tea in my thermos for work.

Clue me in on the Mormon thing..

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Kat, just promise us that you won't mix the coffee with the tea. That is horrid.

Mormons do not believe in consuming any caffeine drink, and that includes coffee, tea, colas, etc. Some of them get a little upset when everybody else is drinking coffee.

–B.G.–

Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

I'm a fairly heavy coffee drinker who used to drink 7-9 cups a day of real coffee for probably 20 years or more. Always black without sugar. Then I started limiting it to 4-5 cups a day. I noticed that I felt a little agitated after my morning dual cups and that my hands were shaking a bit. A friend suggested that I try 1/2 coffee 1/2 decaf. This has now been my coffee path for five or six years and seems to work perfectly for me. I sleep better, never get that coffee agitation, and less tremors to bedevil my photography. I also find that I get a better jolt on those occasions, usually on the weekend, that I want a jolt, like before a five hour steep ascent or a long uphill snowshoe slog or a long intense bike ride, by drinking one cup of 100% real stuff.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

We live in a very heavy pocket of LDS folks so I always hope I am not offending them as I horf down my latte in front of them ;-)

Give up coffee? No way man, it is my only vice I have left…lol!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Give up coffee? No way man, it is my only vice I have left…lol!"

Not giving it up, just getting out of feeling addicted to it.

Blair Blair

@david_brett

Well coffee is good or bad for health?
    Is depend on body condition, as i have sensitive body and coffee leave a bad effect on my body,
    And also its good diet for fat burn.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Charles Schaefer

@armchairracer

Locale: Utah

>Mormons do not believe in consuming any caffeine drink, and that includes coffee, >tea, colas, etc. Some of them get a little upset when everybody else is drinking >coffee.

As a Mormon (though not a very good one, I love coffee too much), I wanted to correct this. The official stance of the church is no coffee or tea, but colas and such are fine. Also, I don't know of anyone that gets offended by people drinking coffee and I live in Utah where most people are Mormon.

OT: I quit caffeine for a couple months on a bet once, just went cold turkey. I had head aches and was pretty irritable for about 10 days and then I was fine. Though this probably isn't the best route if your job involves working with people or if you have kids.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools