Topic

An Intro to Backpacking Class sponsored by the AMC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion An Intro to Backpacking Class sponsored by the AMC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Locale: Northeast, East Asia

I attended an Intro to Backpacking class sponsored by the AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) the other night. The two hour session lasted closer to two and a half hours (with questions), and I was impressed with the solid and intelligent information they provided in a short, succinct amount of time – all helpful to make the experience of backpacking comfortable, safe and enjoyable for newbies like myself.

A quote from the materials handed out: “Try to keep your pack as light as possible – at most a total weight of 25-30lbs (or less!) with food and water for a weekend.” Yeah, I know. Most of you get well below that weight, but consider the sedentary urbanite who thinks his/her laptop back is too heavy. 25-30lbs is much less than I thought I would carry for my first trip before I started looking at this site….

What struck me most, I think, was how much BPL ideals and philosophy have entered into what appears to me at first to be a group of normally traditional/conventional backpackers – the “mainstream.” And a look at the schedule of activities for backpacking for the AMC confirms a whole list of other seminars, expos, trial camps, and day-long test hikes (with gear for more than a day hike…) to encourage lightweight backpacking. Maybe this is all news to me. But I was pleasantly surprised but the quality of information that I heard that night.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools