Topic

Plans for a tarp – Beaks + tapered profile

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Plans for a tarp – Beaks + tapered profile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Brent Mahan

@thenerb

Locale: Southern New Hampshire

I included this in a post elsewhere about a sleep system, but I figured I'd share it here as well for anyone that is interested.

I wanted a tarp and didn't want to spent a lot on buying one. I decided to design my own and have my sister make it for me as a birthday gift (awesome!). I wanted something fairly simple, but it had to be spacious (big enough for me and my dog or my spouse if they came along), fairly versatile, and protect me fairly well from inclement weather. I liked Ray Jardine's RayWay tarp, but it just seemed a little bulky and the beaks weren't quite the way I wanted them.

Attached below are pics of a scale model I built out of paper and a sheet with fabric dimensions and some details. It isn't anything revolutionary or super unique, but I thought I'd share in case it would help someone else with their design or project.

Model:
    *NOTE: Dimensions are fabric cut dimensions. Final size will obviously be smaller once the seams and hems are sewn in.
    Custom Tarp Model - Pic 1

Custom Tarp Model - Pic 2

Custom Tarp Model - Pic 3

Custom Tarp Model - Pic 4

Custom Tarp Model - Pic 5

Fabric dimensions and some notes:
    Custom Tarp Model - Details

My sister will probably start making it soon. I'll post pictures of it in action once it is sewn up.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Like your model and sketches. When I did my shaped tarp I also made a full-scale mockup which helped dial in the size.

You might want to consider catenary curves for the ridgeline and beaks (and maybe edges)–makes for a more taut pitch.

Here's a longish thread that helped me a lot (esp. Jerry Adam's comments): http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=49480

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools